Monzo Credit Card - how would it work?

I would prefer this too.

1 Like

Do you have a US address? I closed mine when I repatriated cos I thought you needed a US address. Also it would have charged me non-$ fees in the UK - do you not pay those?

Nope, I just updated the address to UK and I just pay the Visa or Discover Exchange rate.

No fees :slight_smile:

1 Like

I use the Virgin Atlantic card, which is now a Mastercard. I pay the fee of £160, which doubles the miles, and includes free boingo WiFi. Sadly they do charge non-Sterling fees, so I use Tandem abroad. It is awesome to be able to sit in the front whenever we fly Virgin - something we could never afford if we were paying cash. Air miles are generally more generous than cashback, so I would want Monzo to offer them (not necessarily Virgin, but maybe just Avios would do). Lounge access would also be great for when we’re not flying on the miles.

Seconded. Cashback on purchases would be a huge pull for me. I would love to be able to have my credit card and current account in the same place.

2 Likes

Wait, further benefit cuts are expected? They’re already very poor compared to other countries

I’d love a Monzo credit card, for the simple benefit of having everything in the same system.

Features I’d want:

• obviously S75 protection
  • potential to move spending to a CC payment pot
  • ability to pay out of DD cycle much easier (ie press a pay button)
  • some ability to sync with Concur for expenses (ie flag an expense and it auto imports into concur).
  • a different design card to the main one.
  • a market beating APR

For me the winner would be all things simplicity. Cashback, etc would be a bonus, but I’d much rather have an amazing credit card that seamlessly integrates into my bank, than anything else.

4 Likes

That would be a really cool feature :+1:t2:

7 Likes

+1 for that too.

1 Like

Being able to easily track spending across debit/credit card would be the thing for me. The biggest thing Monzo has done for me is making it so much easier to track what I’m spending and where. Using a credit card now feels like it goes into a black hole in comparison. Even simple things like figuring out how much I’ve been spending this month but having to mentally remove last months balance because the direct debit doesn’t come out till the end of this month…

3 Likes

I use a credit card for S75 protection, cashback, and because it means I have more money in my bank account (on which I can earn some interest).

I like Monzo because it provides visibility of my finances - I don’t want purchases to be hidden, or suddenly have big bills land on me.

So I think I’d like a ‘credit card pot’ that automatically deducted money from my current account whenever I made purchases, and I’d like that pot to pay interest.

If that could be integrated seamlessly into the main feed - awesome. If not, I’d probably put up with it and use it anyway.

Just a decent rate, don’t really need anything else :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

As someone with a “bit” of credit card debt, a balance transfer account with a feature to help aid repayment would be HUGE!

+1 for metal card & cash back too :wink:

2 Likes

As a baseline, I need all things that Monzo already has in its current account: No fees for purchases abroad (number one for me), instant notifications, etc. Only with these I would apply for the credit card, and I’d love to manage everything in the Monzo app.

A welcome extra would be cashback, and if it is Visa (Or as other comment said, MasterCard and switch the debit card to Visa).

I don’t care much about APR since I always pay in full, but of course it should be a competitive rate to what is on the market. And things like lounge access, I guess that should be managed through the Monzo Plus offering.

2 Likes

I use it for S75, and when I haven’t paid myself enough that month I’ll use it as a stop-gap and make up the difference next month to try and keep interest free.

I’d like to get what I can with Santander:

• No fees for purchases abroad
  • A high limit (probably due to being a long term customer, Lloyd’s only gave me a fraction of the limit)
  • A good APR
  • Cashback at selected retailers
  • s75 protection (legal requirement anyway)
  • 0% for X amount of time (after paying minimum each month)
  • Apple Pay / Samsung Pay / Contactless

What I’d like extra:

• Instant notifications
  • Ability to pay from certain pots (and assign certain retailers [I’d like to see this on my Current Account too])
  • Card freezing
  • Anything I’ve missed that I get with my Monzo Currently Account

It would be brilliant to have some of the additional things @Js38wju3jda mentioned, maybe as addons for a separate Credit Card plus scheme?

1 Like

Some interesting ideas there!

I have a question, though:

Does this mean you want some form of pots under the credit card (so you can see what you’ve spent on different stuff, for example), or are you after the credit card bill to come from different current account pots depending of the category or the merchant you spent on the credit card?

1 Like

Current account pots, for example my transport pot if it’s a payment to TfW or NAT group. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The only real reason I have a credit card is for the cashback (initially was to build my credit rating too).

Happy using my Amex, especially if they can start showing transactions inside Monzo.

Always good to carry two different cards too.

With talk of a Monzo credit card and being able to see transactions from third party cards (I wonder if this will include the Apple Card) in feeds, this made me wonder again about if we will eventually see a consolidated summary and/or budgeting at some point in the future? Has this ever been discussed?

1 Like