Monzo could pioneer implant chips for payment

And you stick it where…? :thinking:

2 Likes

And when it breaks?

Book an appointment at your local Monzo Surgery to have a new one implanted. :smiley:

Don’t forget to book the day off work too! :briefcase:

2 Likes

I’m not sure I want to deal with my immune system trying to reject my debit card. It’s an interesting idea in a cyberpunk sort of way, but having my debit card on my watch is close enough, and less painful. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Not for me. I’m happy with Contactless the way it is, just using your actual Card or Phone.

Great idea and would definitely make use of this.

I would get this tomorrow if i could.
No more losing my bank card on a night out, yes please! Stick it in me Monzo

1 Like

I said it back then and now the thread has been resurrected, I’m saying it again.

Noooopppppeeeeeeeeeeee.

2 Likes

It may one day be normal but right now it sounds freaky! Nope, not for me.

giphy

4 Likes

I’ve been looking at a Vivokey Spark 2 Cryptographic implant and contactless payment is something they are working on. Would be great to see Monzo collaborate with them!

1 Like

If it allowed for large transactions like Google pay as the being built into your body was secure enough then I’d be down. Not if it was just the literal chip and antenna from a debit card. Not worth the effort.

Microchipping yourself?

This is dangerously close to 1984, if you ask me.

2 Likes

Why what?

was like about to type that very reply until I scrolled down

Most banks (Monzo included I expect) retain ownership of the card, I believe so they can control the security of it(if your card was cloned and clone misused, you’d want monzo to take on responsibility right ?)

A contactless card is so much more than a memory card, it’s a mini computer which can be updated remotely (by messages sent through payment network) which can use rules to decide when a pin is needed, it can cryptographically sign transactions etc. I don’t see many banks being willing to give up control on this, with the regulatory framework we have

So an implanted card could read and control our minds :scream: Better not let Amazon know.