Monzo 3.0 - what next?

Probably because that would mean theyd have to admit the recent effort for this page was a real swing and a miss.

The reason i voted for this is because i think there is alot of things that could be done here to make my daily use of monzo so much better.

Be that the ability to merge contacts, have contact photos, link outgoing and incoming from the same “contact”.

All things that would make monzo stand out

1 Like

Yes, weekly budgeting as per weekly income. I’m sure monthly paid users wouldn’t like to be forced to use a quarterly budgeting feature. We all want to use Monzo according to our circumstances, possibly you don’t get it because its not an issue for you. However it must be an issue for weekly paid users as the request is constant

1 Like

I don’t think pride is what stops Monzo doing things, what an odd statement.

Perhaps is that as it stands the Payments tab is functional and does what it needs to do albeit in a very laborious and not intuitive way. Other things they’ve been working on have, as they’ve stated, been around building out the base of the product so it’s easier to iterate on in the future.

Yes it needs a lot of work, and could be a lot better, but I don’t think they’ve been avoiding it.

2 Likes

Whats odd about it?

If i was in monzo’s position I wouldn’t want to admit that the payments tab isnt up to scratch after only recently redeveloping it. Especially so close after having to do the same for monzo plus. MVP approach only works well when you can develop, release early and iterate… not redo.

I agree with you that its functional at the moment so revisiting it’ll be kept on the backlog for another while yet but the previous version was also functional was it not :man_shrugging:

They are a transparent company. They didn’t do a massive overhaul of Payments, so when that happens I’m sure they’ll acknowledge their mistakes. I just don’t think we need to apply emotional thinking to an application is all.

3 Likes

My two pence… :grinning:

I’d be keen for some improved analytics around my spending (although arguably this could also drop into the ‘Better Budgeting’ option) as I don’t feel the current categories provide enough insight. I do #hashtag a lot to provide further granularity but the detail / stats / analytics behind this is lacking.

An example :+1:

I shop at Sainsbury’s (other supermarkets are available) pretty frequently for lunch (#lunch) by my office and my weekly shop (#bigshop) at a huuuuuuuuge one near home. I’m attempting to cut down my #bigshop spend but am struggling to see this trend over time.

• A search for ‘Sainsbury’s’ in my feed gives me a [a rather scary] total spend and transaction average however this is meaningless as I have multiple large and small transactions.

• Searching #bigshop gives me a total spend again along with average value but I have no idea how this compares over time and whether I’m being successful with pulling back my spending

• The ‘Groceries’ category also includes other spend for the same period so again isn’t useful for identifying trends

For a particular retailer / category / hashtag, I’d love to see some kind of representation (e.g. bar / line graph) of spend over time (week / month / year), with a both total and average transaction value.

Perhaps searching ‘Sainsburys’ could show a split between the different hashtags you’ve assigned to those transactions showing what your relative spend is?

I’d love Summary to break down spend by merchant rather than category too so I can who my money’s going to.

Lots of random thoughts but I’m massively into using Monzo to manage my money more effectively (the amount of pots I have is possibly excessive) so anything that would give more insight into my spending patterns would be amazing.

3 Likes

Agreed. The sense I have is that Monzo previously tweaked the screen, then added merge contacts (on Android only?) as an experimental feature in labs. What I think we’ve learnt is that with the new design there perhaps needs to be a bit more of a fundamental think about it.

There’s nothing shameful or emotive in that, surely?

3 Likes

I think this is a fantastic idea. There’s a thread to vote for something similar over here:

1 Like

Oh i agree 100% and like i said there is plenty that they could do around the payments tab and contacts that could make monzo unique and better to use on a daily basis but at present it fits 90% of my needs so I’d be happy if they park it for another while

Personally the one thing I want over everything else is custom categories which hopefully will come sooner in the summary rethink

1 Like

Like minds :+1:

Did I see a mockup somewhere that someone had pulled together or am I imagining things?

I really do think this is a huge area Monzo could push to become a fully-fledged money management tool. However, I do wonder if this is quite a niche use case and we’re outliers wanting so much insight :nerd_face:

What’s everyone else’s thoughts?

2 Likes

Here are some rubbish mocks from me:

Let’s discuss in that thread or in the one like linked above! :raised_hands::raised_hands:

I think they could provide some high level info, and the people who want more detail can drill into that, but yeah I’d like to see a way of knowing I’ve spent more this month in X category of the same category last month/year. Need custom categories for that mind you!

Well for one there is no quarterly budgeting feature. And may I ask how many of your direct debits come out quarterly vs monthly?

Summary figure is essentially spending money. All you would have to do is times your weekly spending money by 4 (and a bit) to use monthly budgeting. And as you get paid your wage will top up the main account balance ready for the next month…

Like I said it’s not ideal, but it’s very easily done.

If I was paid weekly, I would still use a monthly spending money budget, due to the fact one off big food shops or an unexpected long distance drive or whatever that has a bigger cost to it, can then be clawed back slowly over a month, rather than leaving you nothing to spend for the rest of that week.

Right, you said it - it’s not ideal :woman_shrugging:t6:

I would like to see transaction history under individual pots tab as well. It just make it easier instead of trying to search everything on the main account tab.

3 Likes

I would really love this too - and I think if Monzo did get on the improved budgeting band wagon, and/or allowed more categories, it would give that super useful insights.

I would like to budget in the same way (but I cannot be fussed using hashtags at the mo) because similarly I do multiple-spend-types at the same retailer, and some of the broad categories don’t give enough minutiae

This is how YNAB does it which I’d really like to see - Food and Drink is the master category, with sub categories underneath.

Imgur

6 Likes

Ohhh I like this idea.

Brief update: better budgeting and revised payments tab dueling it out at the top with 51% apiece.

Speed is also on people’s minds at 45%, then everything else is playing catch-up 27% and under.

I’m keen to see if we get any clear blue water between the top two or whether this will run and run…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.