Metro Bank

Could do, but I just don’t see what’s in it for Sabadell.

And yep they got killed by mobile banking, I remember the former MD Chris Brindley at a conference going on about how mobile banking was a fad and that the branch would always be king, how’s that going for you Chris?

2 Likes

:joy: :joy: :joy: :joy:

Man, was that prediction massively wrong!

2 Likes

I thought that Sabadell wanted to sell TSB and exit from the UK.

1 Like

This :arrow_up:

Here’s a link to a 2010 news article about Metro: Metro Bank opens doors in UK - BBC News

Metro Bank says it will emphasise good customer service, including long opening hours seven days a week. …

“Britons are dying for revolution in the banking business, focused on service, and we are here to provide it.”

The bank promises to let people open a full account with debit and credit cards in just 15 minutes and its branches will be open every day, including Sundays, apart from four public holidays a year.

“We believe customers simply want a better experience from their bank, the kind they typically get from a great retailer and that’s what we intend to give them,” said chairman Anthony Thomson.

They were right, people did want a revolution, but it wasn’t the revolution they were expecting.

3 Likes

Worse still, I’d worry that many of their customers just love branch banking. maintaining that kind of customer and keeping them happy is really expensive.

2 Likes

All banks other than Monzo should close :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: all Metro Customers just need to switch to Monzo - now they know they are struggling.

I think you should have a quick lie down, must not be feeling well.

4 Likes

lol…. Well so far I’m loving Monzo and my 8 months back with them. Tried all the other banks and non do what Monzo do… or they are too slow at adopting similar features or notifications don’t always work in real time. Would be great if Monzo could clean up their app abit and make it feel more grown up and streamlined the fonts etc.

1 Like

Do you mean make it a bit more like Starling :smile:

3 Likes

Sort of :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Starling need credit cards or BNPL cards which will make it attractive to people wanting an all in one banking experience… then I would go full starling . I know starling have been promising Credit Cards back since Ann was CEO but they haven’t really brought anything new to the app. It’s become basic. (Plus their pie charts in app don’t do it for me)

Somehow, I suspect Chase will be full on banking way before Starling. Supposedly their credit card will be with us before February as indeed should means of paying in cash.

This is what I said in 2017

6 years later Metro is valued at £68m and in the news for flogging their assets to avoid bankruptcy and Monzo is valued at £4000m and in the news for Google trying to acquire a stake.

If I had pairs traded that forum post on margin I would be extremely rich. Unfortunately I didn’t. At least I put my money where my mouth was on the Monzo end though.

Metro’s positon today was completely predictable many years ago and there is only one place it is going to end up… in the bin.

Vernon Hill is still a multi-millionaire living the American Dream back home, by the way.

3 Likes

They will either try to find a buyer and it’ll be absorbed into another bank or if things keep deteriorating there could be a run on the bank.

I would already imagine it’s being asked to increase it’s capital holding to offset that risk.

1 Like

Couldn’t see it mentioned above but Metro are currently negotiating with Barclays to sell them their mortgage book worth 3 billion

1 Like

Metro’s 1 year fixed ISA at 5.71% was recommended on Martin Lewis’ show. He acknowledged their present situation and pointed out the FSCS protection.

3 Likes

Martin Lewis, amazing advocate for the UK finances. However just because it’s protected doesn’t mean it won’t be a headache to get your money back out. Suggestion go with a bank that isn’t about to potentially go under.

4 Likes

Simple application turnaround within 10 days if not less, I think,

2 Likes

I understand any balance below £85k is returned pretty quickly through the FSCS. However, I agree with you. It isn’t worth the hassle. I opened a Metro CA some years ago but was unimpressed with their CS so closed the account. Also whilst most banks and retail chains were closing branches they were busy opening them which always appeared to be false logic IMO.

4 Likes

I don’t think that it’s returned as such but rather made available via another bank. Sounds like a lot of hassle that’s best avoided.

1 Like

So back to chip then? Who else is giving 5.2% instant access?

I’ve just mined my savings 2 weeks ago and I didn’t know they were having issues.

1 Like