Metro Bank

Greetings,

I would like to join Monzo plus especially for having other bank accounts to view. Can someone confirm if Metro Bank can be added. I’m sure I read somewhere it cannot.

Mark

1 Like

Nope, they’re not on the list

2 Likes

Yes, the short answer is no.

The longer answer is no, for now, because of the way that Metro Bank have implemented their version of Open Banking. Basically, it’s a cop-out where they haven’t bothered to develop an API (like most other banks have). What this means is that any provider that wants to integrate with them has to store your login details and effectively “log in to internet banking as you” to download your data.

Most banks and fintechs, like Monzo, have decided that it’s an unacceptable solution and they aren’t willing to develop infrastructure to securely store credentials just for a handful of banks. The regulator agrees so now it is looking increasingly likely that Metro (and the others) will eventually be forced to develop APIs instead.

If you would like to read more about it, have a look here.

11 Likes

That’s an interesting read so they basically said we’ll make a screenscaper where the service you use need to hold your username and password.

I thought that wasnt minimum I thought that was prohibited. :grimacing:

So that was for back in 2020, two years later they still haven’t got round to making an API? :neutral_face:

1 Like

Yes, essentially they have to allow some form of access to account data for approved third parties to meet Open Banking regulations, but the regulations don’t specify that it has to be via an API. So they are allowed to offer an MCI that works through screen scraping instead, as the bare minimum.

Now the idea of changing the regulations to specify API access is being looked into, but it’s still some time away from becoming the new legal standard (if it happens at all).

2 Likes

Are the Coop the same in this regard? We use an Open Banking API at work and Metro & Coop aren’t on the list.

1 Like

Yes, Metro Bank and Co-operative Bank (including Smile) are the biggest offenders, plus John Lewis Finance (the JL Partnership Card credit card which, strangely, is operated by HSBC but seems to use no HSBC technology).

2 Likes

Thank you all for your input, looks I will just have to wait and hope.

2 Likes

I’ve had a Smile credit card for 20+ years but just taken out a HSBC credit card so I can use open banking for Plus. (HSBC being one of the few uk issuers offering a Visa credit card at the moment - Amex and my Mastercard credit card issuer are already available through Plus.)

1 Like

Nationwide are another decent provider still offering Visa credit (I’m not sure if their credit card is available through Plus though).

3 Likes
2 Likes

Won’t anyone spare a pound for a struggling bank?

2 Likes

Snap!

3 Likes

Things really don’t seem to be going well at Metro Bank at the moment

2 Likes
1 Like
1 Like

So what I’m reading is if I want a Metro card for the collection I better act yesterday because there won’t be a Metro for much longer with all these issues?

Well it’s been on the rocks since the 2019 financial scandal publishing fudged info to investors.

If the deal doesn’t get approved later this month then it’s likely kaput.

Not sure why Jaime Gilinski is wanting control, he’s got money to back up the deal but he’s not mega rich.

2 Likes

Metro Bank with changes to confirmation of payee have changed my name back to having my middle name show for faster payments. All transactions out show as First Middle Last.

I wouldn’t mind but it shortens my last name to Hor (doesn’t sound classy does it!?) and I had to struggle to get them to remove my middle name last time. I had insistence to change my name by deed poll at first. :pensive:

2 Likes

5.22% instant access savings (if you put more than £500 in within 28 days of opening).

1 Like