Meet the next generation: Monzo for Under 16s 🎉

Does anyone know when the cards/accounts will start becoming available?

We were just about to give in and set up an account under a different bank for our 12 year old but as we’re using Monzo for everything else we’d much prefer this - just need it ASAP as summer hols have just started!

Sounds like it’s a waitlist, so you’ll need to wait in the list for announcements.

I’m hoping it’s sooner rather than later. Waited long enough before they announced it already…

They’re hitting it hard with their promotion and invitation for testing.

Typically they just ask us on here to sign up and test it for a while. But I’ve seen in app notifications and emails asking everyone else too, along with press releases. They must be fairly confident it’s 99% complete.

2 Likes

I’d kill a man for early access.

4 Likes

Thankfully not a child. For a child account.

Joking aside, there’s obviously a demand for this!

1 Like

Exactly the same for Starling Kite, so not a fail, soz

It is if it’s sold as a full account and it’s not :melting_face:

3 Likes

I really don’t want my kids, 11 and 7 having access to their account numbers, too much risk, and until they are earning their own money, or paying bills, there is no need to share account details at that level until there mid teens.

What I do want is a way for them to understand that when you spend it is gone, and understand the value, and that saving for stuff is good.

Being the gatekeeper of the account via a single parent makes sense as well, works well on Starling Kite.

As for paying in, cheques aren’t a thing, In the past two years, the 11 year old hasn’t received one, what is a thing, is getting cash, usually a tenner in a card, and becomes more a thing as they hit 9/10. So the expanded cash pay in options will help with that. Payment links is also a more sensible thing as well.

4 Likes

So is this kids account not an actual account then? Just a pot? Or will it have an actual account number and set out like the flex, joint and current account at the top or the app? I’m losing track with what this kids account is actually going to be. :man_shrugging:t3:

Pre paid card managed by parents is the way to think about it.

No details to pay to.

3 Likes

It couldn’t possibly have any of these, so just one account/card.

No I meant where the accounts are actually placed/visible and not like the savings and pots accounts in a little box at the bottom of the app. I like to see all my accounts lined up under each other.

There’s a screenshot at the beginning of the thread. An account with the transactions under, just like now.

Kids aren’t likely to have more than one account. This one ain’t designed for us.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for the hype and feedback :heart:

The waitlist has been really popular and we cannot wait to start giving early access to you. We’re busy behind the scenes getting ready for launch and hoping to start giving you access very soon :soon:

We know it’s a vital summer holiday item :slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

Summer holidays started end of June in my country :pensive:

2 Likes

:scotland: :scotland: :scotland:

6 Likes

One of my frustrations with the kite card from starling was that my son cant use apple pay. Will kids be able to use Apple pay so they dont have to take a card everywhere they go (and inevitability lose it)?

1 Like

Only if (1) they’re above the minimum age for Apple Pay use (2) the card/bank supports Apple Pay

1 Like

About to find out if my eldest can add his Nationwide card to Apple Pay.

4 Likes