Meet the next generation: Monzo for Under 16s 🎉

That’s par for the course these days - play it up to be super sensational when it’s often exactly the same as any other bank service, just it says Monzo on the card. We’re well into the ‘really just a bank’ rather than disrupter phase nowadays.

2 Likes

Nice looking screens in the latest TestFlight. I haven’t joined the waitlist just in case that overrides the form I filled in here :slight_smile:

I joined on both :grimacing:

Me too :grimacing:

I joined the list on here and in app, however, I will discuss it with my 15yo to see whether she wants to move or happy with Revolut.

The only thing that may possibly sway her would be if her Monzo card could attach to Google Pay because her Revolut one flatly refuses until she’s 16 but, once 16, she’ll have a proper account anyway and no need for Revolut :man_shrugging:

The Google Pay age limit is 13.

There must be a reason the likes of Revolut decides to ignore this. Annoying AF.

Sadly this is just a little too late for my nieces, who seem to have opted for Revolut (which is insanely popular in Northern Ireland).

1 Like

Google Pay limit is 16, not 13. Apple Pay is 13. See my post above.

Edit: Reading further, you need a Google account which has a age restriction of 13, but this is the kicker:

“Capable of entering into a legally binding agreement with Google.”

Which is 18, or 16 with parental consent in the UK.

2 Likes

The different names of the different Google products can make it confusing but paying contactless with your phone is definitely available from 13.

We used it with HyperJar and a quick search shows the likes of RBS and NatWest also allow it.

As did my daughter, hence why we tried to stay with them but found them incompetent, so closed account and returned to Revolut and physical card.

1 Like

I recently opened a different account for the kids as Monzo didn’t offer this option. This looks great and will be signing up as soon as it’s ready.

I showed the kids and theyvlove the new colours

2 Likes

when will we able to use this i have been on the waiting list since it came out

For kids over 13, do you think it would benefit if they could manage their own money and account. Giving them the opportunity to learn about managing there finances.

I think this should be an option, wether there account is parent managed or managed by the child. Over the age of 12-13 of course.

Do parents have to have an upgraded account to get the kids account or can any Monzo user get them?

Good news this is finally underway! At the moment my 7 year old is using a kids Hyperjar debit card, which is funded via the Hyperjar app on my phone (they don’t have a phone). The card is also useable in my Google Wallet and can pay contactless on my phone in case we’re out and about and they have left their card at home.

Hopefully the functionality will be there with Monzo, as it will be one less app on my phone, and the Hyperjar interface is a little difficult to navigate.

1 Like

Talk about a wave of new people damn!

3 Likes

The draw of children’s cards/accounts.

With devices being given to younger & younger children (rightly or wrongly) this is big business for a digital bank to get in there early and pincer-move the next generation. Starling & Revolut have done them - so have legacy banks, but they are behind with the app - and it’s the app which the kids will connect with, absorb and use in no time.

The Chinese super-apps are with us already. Banks should be very concerned.

Cannot wait been waiting a longtime for this for my son

1 Like

Except this won’t have them

Daughter has successfully opened a FlexOne account this morning, so Monzo offering won’t be required now anyway.

She has Revolut as a back up.

1 Like