Meet the next generation: Monzo for Under 16s šŸŽ‰

Too true. People will always find ways.

Fine way to get caught though.

A discussion on that could be a thread of its own!

So itā€™s not really a bank account then, to fill the gap in the market highlighted by the OP? But just the same as Starling Kite/Rooster?

Really disappointing and misses the mark if thatā€™s the case. Makes the marketing misleading too, because you really made it sound like this was an actual account, bringing together the best of both worlds of a childrenā€™s bank account and the prepaid debit card solutions.

2 Likes

When I turned 12 I got a ReadyCash account at the Clydesdale Bank. It was completely independent and you got an ATM card, account number, sort code etc. I can understand the need for having these linked to parents accounts, if you want, but it really wasnā€™t a problem to learn about having an independent back account on my own. I think some of these products are guilty of being designed by committee and are way overprotective.

I donā€™t think so. Theyā€™re about to provide something similar to what weā€™ve been using variously at goHenry, HyperJar, Starling and more recently Revolut.

Weā€™d have preferred Monzo, and now my youngest will have Monzo just like his older siblings. And me :slight_smile:

Monzo is still a cool brand in our house.

1 Like

Because no one ever sends a child a cheque?

Have to agree with others. This sounds more and more like a sub MVP ā€œannouncement to the press releaseā€ā€¦

Itā€™s not just the processes and the systems that are important here though.

The crucial input is the education around using the account so that the child/teenager/young adult is savvy enough to not let that happen.

Itā€™s becoming clearer and clearer that impressionable young people are being targetted to act as money mules by various levels of organised crime gangs.

Itā€™s tricky getting the balance right between parental control on an account and giving the child gradual independence as he/she grows older. Itā€™s just as tricky making them fully aware of ā€˜Stranger Dangerā€™ without leaving them anxiety-ridden.

Any built-in protection that their banking provider can offer is to be welcomed.

I really do wish Monzo well with this new project

3 Likes

@Sarahm, Would you and the team consider enabling an account number and sort code for the account once a child reaches a certain age.

Letā€™s say at 14 for example, giving the child more responsibility over time and getting them used to a more full featured account for once they reach 16? Many teenagers begin to have part-time jobs that pay via BACs or Faster Payments around this age.

1 Like

Sure, but thatā€™s a downgrade over how it was presented in the OP, where they actually criticise the shortcomings of those products.

Itā€™s fine if itā€™s just gohenry in a Monzo wrapper (which is what you want), but itā€™s not how theyā€™ve positioned it at all:

3 Likes

Ok, I see that now

1 Like

Doesnā€™t Revolut require a ā€œparentā€ to approve people for P2P transfers? Like a friends list that parents manage

If only there was a physical way for the ā€œguy in the vanā€ to give them Ā£5 that couldnā€™t be traced and didnā€™t record his identity on a ledger forever

Oh waitā€¦

4 Likes

Iā€™ve a very insensitive sense of humour so wonā€™t add any more context to any man and van jokes.

4 Likes

There is no way Iā€™d want my soon to be 6 year old daughter to have full unrestricted access to all of their birthday money etc sent by relatives.

When theyā€™re a bit older it would be nice to lift these restrictions though.

Dare I say toggle / config for this kinda thing? :grimacing:

4 Likes

I donā€™t intend of having kids myself, but I do have family members who have Monzo accounts and would like a kids account for their children. When I read the announcement post, I thought this was going to be a great thing for them but after seeing the updates and clarifications, now iā€™m not sure sure. Seems similar to the old ā€œPre-paid Mondoā€ days but with some slight tweaks to make it more restrictive, and letā€™s a 2nd person oversee the account.

Yes, itā€™s a free alternative to the likes of GoHenry, but at what costs? For me, this is another basic ā€œletā€™s push it out of the door and enhance it laterā€ endevour.

The perfect solution for me would be:

• Kids account has itā€™s own Account Number and Sort Code
  • Parent authorisation required for first time payment from unknown accounts
    • Meaning family can send money, and once authorised, there is no friction
    • But maybe add customisable limits
  • Not all kids have a smartphone, so a kid friendly app that works on iPad and kid versions of Android tablets (like Fire tablets)
  • Customisable spend limits, but allow parental override by authorisation.
    • Example: Have Ā£100 in the account but can only spend Ā£10 max in a week, unless parent enables override.
  • Multiple ā€œparentsā€ but secondary parents donā€™t require a personal Monzo account
    • Having the main admin be a Monzo user make sense to me, especially as a free product
    • Having different levels of access for parents too. So Mum has full access, Dad can adjust spend limits and authorise transactions, but grandma is only allowed to authorise transactions.
  • Apple Pay support for 13 years old and over
  • Easily convert account to 16-18, or full Monzo when at the right age, which keeps all transaction history and money, but decouples it from the main parent.
  • If main admin has Extra/Perks/Max, then allow some of the extras to benefit the child account, like boosted interest and custom categories.

There is probably more.

6 Likes

Did somebody say toggle? No thank you. No toggles. Death to the toggles.

A transition of control could happen automatically at a certain age. 11 seems to be the age requirement for a proper childrenā€™s bank account. So letā€™s make it 11. We donā€™t need a toggle.

I reckon a toggle for the parents to choose whether the child can see the account number and sort code of the account would be useful.

Meaning very young children wonā€™t be able to share their account details but parents can decide who gets them and in turn has the ability to send the child money.

Then once the child has grown a little, learned a few good habits and is becoming more knowledgeable about their money in general the parents can allow them to see the account details.

Thatā€™s how I would like it to eventually work for my daughter. Right now sheā€™s only 6months old though so has no need for any of this :smile:

2 Likes

Itā€™s certainly not a case of having too many toggles, but it does need some controls. Since children develop at different rates, trying to standardise that would be a mistake, in my opinion.

2 Likes

I agree. But the rest of society doesnā€™t and thatā€™s how everything else works. Standardisation has benefits too though. Not all parents care enough to parent and so contrary to the Disney villain, donā€™t know best. Putting things behind a toggle would be to the detriment of the child in that case. Itā€™s hard enough to convince some parents to even get going with one of these apps or a childā€™s bank account at all.

But ignore me. I just hate toggles. :slight_smile: