Making Overdrafts Available

Yes - hence my question :grinning:

Great then telling us how you use it and if it’s the same as your overdraft use with other banks would be great :+1:

I always had a theory people would use it less because of the cost. Just intrigued to see what the reality is

No. But I like the peace of mind knowing that it’s there should I need it.

1 Like

Yes this is exactly how I use my existing overdraft. Peace of mind. Never used in 10 years though…so tbh probably never really needed it.

Sure thing

It’s great - right from the off - received a notification, completed how much income I receive and was instantly granted upto 1k overdraft (coincidently last month Halifax refuses me an overdraft of any size…)

I love that’s its available to use immediately - granted legacy banks often are as well although Natwest in the past for me has been next working day

I’m terms of using the overdraft its neat and tidy - quite like how visual it is I.e. balance is orange colour when overdrawn

It’s easily manageable in terms of adjusting overdraft limit

Receiving notifications is great when likely to use overdraft

The ‘overdraft charges so far’ is a little annoying that it’s permantely on top of the home tab - be better if tucked away in spending somewhere (possibly changing with the upcoming redesign)

The £20 buffer is nice as well :+1:

1 Like

:slight_smile: great though that’s all generic stuff. How are you actually using it ?

For example: Are you going into your overdraft once a month? Is this the same as previous overdraft use or have you seen you’re behaving differently with your money?

It is generic I suppose because only had it for short amount of time

I use my overdraft every month as I’m terrible at budgeting and often overspend

Monzo will hopefully help me analyse my spending which should mean I’m less reliant on my overdraft - time will tell

4 Likes

Ah ok, so far sounds like it hasn’t changed anything for you …yet.

No probably not but it’s early days

I’m glad someone’s in the same boat as me. :grin:

1 Like

Depends which bank you use.
50p/day at Nationwide
£1.50/day at Barclays

Do you have a source? I have never used mine, but as far as I remember, Barclays charge 75p per day for overdrafts of up to 1k on their standard account (yes, still more expensive than Monzo …), and they are free on some accounts.

Ah yes, may bad. £1.50 is above £1K.

1 Like

It’s great that Monzo are expanding their offering to become a more comprehensive bank, overdrafts are an important part of that.

I also agree that the per-day pricing is fair and understandable, so this looks like a good feature :heavy_check_mark:

However I get it now. I’ve had about 20 notifications already about overdrafts. Every time my ballance goes below £10 I get an advert promoting them in my feed.

I don’t want an overdraft, and I think if this was a more traditional bank pushing lending so heavily, people would be calling them out for being irresponsible.

6 Likes

I can’t believe they gave me an overdraft :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

The banner was taunting me. Push notifications were taunting me. Didn’t want one but it was begging to be clicked so I did. Fully expected a no due to my debt but apparently not.

Seriously. There needs to be a way to opt out of all notifications including in app banners. It’s just too tempting.

(Only asked for £50)

2 Likes

Settings -> Notifications -> Monzo -> Allow Notifications -> Set to off…

1 Like

I only ever had one notification say I was eligible for an overdraft. that was back a few months ago, never had one since as I wasn’t interested.

I couldn’t agree more with this. I have been annoyed with this notification ever since I was offered an overdraft.

I have never had an overdraft before, and I really don’t want one. Seems to intrusive to keep prompting me to get one

1 Like

To turn it off do you just set the limit back to 0?

Ok done. But now I get the tell me about overdrafts banner again :woman_facepalming:

1 Like

When you tap the feed item, is there no option to say something like ‘don’t ask me again’?