Making Overdrafts Available

I can’t believe they gave me an overdraft :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

The banner was taunting me. Push notifications were taunting me. Didn’t want one but it was begging to be clicked so I did. Fully expected a no due to my debt but apparently not.

Seriously. There needs to be a way to opt out of all notifications including in app banners. It’s just too tempting.

(Only asked for £50)

2 Likes

Settings -> Notifications -> Monzo -> Allow Notifications -> Set to off…

1 Like

I only ever had one notification say I was eligible for an overdraft. that was back a few months ago, never had one since as I wasn’t interested.

I couldn’t agree more with this. I have been annoyed with this notification ever since I was offered an overdraft.

I have never had an overdraft before, and I really don’t want one. Seems to intrusive to keep prompting me to get one

1 Like

To turn it off do you just set the limit back to 0?

Ok done. But now I get the tell me about overdrafts banner again :woman_facepalming:

1 Like

When you tap the feed item, is there no option to say something like ‘don’t ask me again’?

Nope, you can only dismiss that single notification.

It’s especially annoying for me as - until they bring our joint accounts - I only use Monzo for a weekly spending budget, which means I hit the threshold pretty much every week!

Monzo really seem to be ballsing up overdrafts, don’t they?

Could you please post a screenshot of what you see when you tap on the feed item?

Don’t think so. Think the notification system is too pushy but apart from that it seems ok

3 Likes

I guess I have become a little disillusioned with the ‘get stuff out there then refine’ attitude. A lot of functionality seems very poorly thought through. Coin jar excessive feed noise, no surnames on Contacts so now I’m wondering which David is which, general overdraft confusion.

I’d like stuff to be a little more delightful when it hits the app. I haven’t been delighted by Monzo in months.

6 Likes

A big sparkly impressive update would be great but the small scale assessing how people use it and feedback will in the end give us a more usable product

At least that’s the theory

5 Likes

I would like the notifications feature without the overdraft. I would like to know if I have insufficient funds in my account for any upcoming direct debits. Or even an option to configure a notification if the balance on my Monzo account goes below a manually defined value. Would it be possible to get these features?

3 Likes

I’m not asking for a big sparky update. I just think, in each of those iterations, the app has become less easy to use.

Like the design team have taken zero user feedback before a release, and lost their way slightly with each of those.

2 Likes

Hey all, we’ve also got a dedicated feedback thread for you thoughts on overdrafts. Let us know what you think here:

I’m curious. From a UX experience this may be a bad idea but what are the views on transferring overdrafts into pots?

Do you mean letting a pot go into negative, or do you mean going into overdraft by transferring money into a pot?

Going overdrawn through moving into a pot

2 Likes

i don’t think there’s anything to stop you doing this right now, but when scheduled transfers to pots starts happening I suspect it’ll automatically not take it if it means putting you in overdraft. there may also be limitations when the interest earning pot starts existing, but i’m not sure whether there’s any actual issues with that

You can’t do this :slight_smile: