Loyalty Cards inside the Monzo app

A while back Apple made it possible for companies to make loyalty cards in the wallet app which used NFC instead of QR codes/bar codes.

I think my understanding of it was that when you paid using Apple Pay, if there was an NFC loyalty card which matched the merchant you were paying, then it would be automatically have any loyalty points etc added without you having to do it as 2 separate steps.

No companies seem to have used that new loyalty card functionality though.

I may have gotten that completely wrong but I’m sure that’s how I remember it being explained.

1 Like

Im so gonna check the Apple Pay loyalty card options right now :slight_smile: Tnx!

Yes please to this.

Two digital cards is a faff that doesn’t really need to exist. I use Stocard but can see the logic that would allow ‘bank card X is connected to loyalty card y’ to allow for this functionality.

Will the stores sign up and make this possible? If pitched as a reduction in friction to using their loyalty systems, which gains them more insight, then yes.

As an example I have a Nectar card, there is a Sainsburys across the road from my office and I spend there regularly, but only ever for snacks, small value stuff (£1 or so at a time). I rarely can be bothered getting my nectar card (digital or otherwise) out for such a small amount (I know it all adds up but the hassle versus the benefit isn’t worth it). So I don’t scan my Nectar card and Sainsburys won’t know I really like some of their snacks.

ANY way to reduce the friction would be good.

3 Likes

This should remove the need of showing the Tesco card, showing/scanning two cards are not the solution here. A better way could be that loyalty cards are linked to your Monzo account and automatically recognise new transactions, adding points directly from there. So you would have just to pay with your Monzo account and everything is taken care of.

3 Likes

Yes. Which is exactly what the OP said.

surely there should be a way to attach the loyalty card to the monzo card and then have it register with a payment method i.e swipe, authentification pin or using NFC?

I guess would depend on the third party and if they allow this integration. If they do then it certainly is possible.

I know Flux have done it so that if you spend on your Monzo card at KFC you automatically get Colonel Club points without having to scan your rewards card. It does require you to connect and authorise the two services though and they have integrated with the Monzo in app receipts function too - so not sure if that is a requirement as well?

surely there could be a simpler way of doing it than that? Just like you can link certain gift cards and loyalty cards in google/apple pay I’m sure there must be some way of linking it through monzo?

I have just seen that I can link my loyalty cards to my Royal Bank of Scotland card. Surely this can be done too with Monzo

Care to elaborate a little more on how that works?

Wow. Sounds pretty legit at least:

List of supported retailers a bit down the page, certainly covers a lot of the big/obvious ones.

1 Like

This is exactly what I do. But swap Sainsbury’s for Tesco. I have to use my clubcard when in the big store for my usual shop because I scan as I go, but if I’m only buying a couple of things from the express store, I never bother.

Ahh this just replicates what the wallet app does on ios.

Wallet is easier accessed also so i dont think id even want monzo to waste time trying to do this

Not really. It’s still two scans. My clubcard is on my keys in and in my Apple Wallet. So I have access to them.

I want the Tesco points for just using my Monzo card. (I’m not really that bothered, it would just be a handy feature)

2 Likes

Monese is giving BA point for using the card ON TESCO and everything else. Monzo should mimic that!

No i get that and i would also like points to be automatically added to tesco/nectar etc by just using my monzo card.

I was referenced the rbs new development mentioned above which to my understanding just adds an area similar to wallet where you can scan them from?

Have you seen tesco pay+? Not sure if it’s available everywhere but you add your card to the app and then you can scan one code to pay and collect club card points.

Exactly that… but for ALL of my loyalty cards.

I want to have one app to pay on the Contactless POS: so the app will have all my loyalty cards inside and i will earn points by using Monzo app on every place that im “loyalty card” with :slight_smile:

The tech is simple: adding loyalty cards to Monzo. The trouble is Monzo needs to sit with all of those merch brands and partnership. And this is the hard bit :frowning:

Yeah that would be lush.

Flux is still very early days but does exactly that for KFC and a couple of small lunch type places, plus digital receipts at a few more: https://www.tryflux.com/

They are supposedly expanding further soon (although I imagine covid has delayed announcements for them too) so fingers crossed for some useful/widespread integrations :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

As the OP has suggested, I’d love to see how many Clubcard points I’d earned with that particular shop, and what my total now was.

I would certainly prefer to have all my information in one place! :+1:t3: :grin: