Limits on contactless payments

DEFINITION of 'Contactless Payment’
Contactless payment is a secure method for consumers to purchase products or services via debit, credit or smartcards (also known as chip cards), by using RFID technology or near-field communication (NFC). To make a contactless payment, a person simply needs to tap their card near a point-of-sale terminal – leading to the nickname “tap-and-go”. Since contactless payments do not require a signature or a PIN, transactions sizes on cards are limited. The allowable amount for a contactless transaction varies by country and by bank. Examples of non-credit or debit card contactless payments include transit cards, Apple Pay, Android Pay and Google Wallet.

Read more: Contactless Payment https://www.investopedia.com/terms/c/contactless-payment.asp#ixzz58pQ4AOK3
Follow us: Investopedia on Facebook

Though I could debate this… While technically, no, it doesn’t quite have to touch, the term contactless doesn’t refer to physical contact. It refers to electrical contact (which makes more sense when you consider its relation to a traditional contact card with a contact pad that has to be electrically connected to the reader).

1 Like

Which is the process that begins in places where you can input your pin if you spend over £30!

It is no longer a “contactless payment”

Thanks. That’s what I meant.

1 Like

So you agree with me :joy:

Read my posts above. If the shop supports online PIN there is no need for you to insert the card.

Now, in fairness, I can only name one chain in the UK with online PIN support.

2 Likes

Yes BUT THAT ISN’T CLASSED AS A CONTACTLESS PAYMENT. SERIOUSLY :man_facepalming:

Yes it is, you tap the card to your reader and enter the PIN. The card is never inserted, thus it’s contactless.

2 Likes

Uhhm…you just agreed this yourself

well, that is wrong for a start! It should say: "contactless payments do not require a signature or a PIN for lower value transactions " or something along those lines

1 Like

Please read through this post again

Once it needs a pin, it is no longer what the whole of the UK knows as a “contactless payment”

Yep, that is a Wiki, they are renounded for being unspecific and inaccurate.

1 Like

A contactless payment is one where the card doesn’t have to touch the reader? That’s what I said previously. I’m not arguing. I’m stating what I believe to be the case.

2 Likes

What about this place?

Yes it goes on to say about higher contactless technology. But the point is, that wasn’t what the OP was asking

They are just a marketing group for the banks, the reality is in tech specs such as those at the emvco website (another user posted above)

One last post and I’m out. Your second screenshot is correct. Notice the word mainly. Given only a tiny fraction of British merchants are capable of contactless+PIN transactions and no merchant who cares would allow contactless+signature (it’s a liability risk); then the use of the word mainly is correct.

2 Likes

Bye bye, have a wonderful evening

By the way reading more in to it, these are called “high value contactless payments” which wasn’t what the OP was asking about

You too :slight_smile: and sometime, if you shop at Marks & Spencer (I don’t except for food that never reaches £30) give it a try and see if what I’ve heard is correct (that they support contactless with online PIN). As far as I know, they’re the only large British chain I’ve heard of supporting it.

Correct, any contactless payment above the CVM theshold (additional verification) is classified as ‘high value contactless’. The most common form in the UK is device-based verification (such as Google Pay). This is the only form of high value contactless widely supported in the UK.

But there are tiny numbers of merchants that support other options. So £30 isn’t quite an absolute limit with a card (though it is the overwhelming majority of the time).

2 Likes

You really have missed my point :man_facepalming:

I completley understand that if I go to M&S I can pay more, with a pin or signature. I’m not disputing that.

I’m disputing that the simple answer that what everybody needs to know, is that the limit is £30

But I never disputed that. It’s true at 95% or more of British merchants, thus why it’s widely advertised as ‘the limit’.

Being able to go over that with a card in the UK is an edge case, not the norm.