Letting Fees

My understanding is that if the cost is over £50 for admin fee then they have to justify it. And if they don’t, it’s not legal

Only for changes to a tenancy that was requested by the tenant, not the landlord or letting agent.

The conversation from this morning:

Context is key here,

This makes sense, not well worded though. It’s a management fee, I live on a new build estate and we have similar (grit the roads, cut the grass, etc…etc).

So in this case, I’d say no, it’s not illegal (Just not well worded)

4 Likes

If they were asking to help pay towards the management fee for the grounds wouldn’t that be monthly or yearly? Not a one off on sign-up.

When I bought a flat which was leasehold I had to pay a whopping ~£160 a month management fee to the company that owned the land for them to basically trim the trees and paint the hallway every three years.

Used to be called Peverel OM.

So many stories like this

2 Likes

Another instance where it gets called an admin fee…

Are you being asked to pay this membership fee, monthly or yearly?

Or is it a one off when you start?

It’s a one off

Its an admin fee as far as I’m concerned. They just forgot to rename it in that page above “cancelled and your deposit and membership joining fee will be non-refundable.”

If it was to help contribute towards maintaining communal areas or outside it would be a repeating fee.

1 Like

Completely agree.

Makes no sense that something like this isn’t repeated or just baked in to the rental price.

1 Like

As others have said, access to shared spaces etc., Would be paid by the owner of the property as part of their service charge each year.

For you, it would be included in the rent - not be a one off charge and not paid separately.

1 Like

Thanks for your help everyone :slight_smile:

Had anyone had any experience in challenging this? Or has any helpful tips on how to do so?

I’m thinking of waiting until my tenancy agreement has begin so they don’t reject my application - I need this place :joy:

Try trading standards or Shelter for advice (once you have the property)

1 Like

Thank you!!

Would the CCJ be againt the letting agent or the landlord. (either way it’s likley that they will just pay it before it gets there)
Anyway them paying up would be likley, the cost of a CCJ and the block it puts on getting credit.

Do CCJ’s put blocks on credit? It might be considered for sure but I don’t think a single small CCJ is going to result in an entire ban on credit.

Bankruptcy however definitely does

1 Like

That depends who exactly the money was paid to - was it money paid under agreement with the agent or under the tenancy with the landlord?

I don’t think you could just go after either of them.

It won’t block credit. It’s up to lenders to decide on that.

How effective the CCJ would be depends on the nature of the agent’s or landlord’s business.

I seriously doubt an estate agent would risk a CCJ for £100, unless they’re close to bankruptcy anyway. Their credit rates could jump sooner or later, outweighing the single £100.

A landlord letting a single flat e.g. in retirement might not give a crap either way!

I have friends whose landlord refused to return a deposit, which hadn’t been secured properly either. They put in a money claim and he paid up immediately.

The law is pretty clear, so it’s usually obvious when you’re beaten…

Remember also that the burden is on the landlord or agent to show that a certain payment is legal. After all, they only need to produce the relevant contract or whatever, so hardly a massive burden for bona fide agents!