✅ Joint Account cards should be different colour!

I signed up to joint account just this year as a trial and insisted my husband too. We both have a Monzo current account already. The joint account was super useful during our travel, as we could keep an eye on expenses easily. But as soon as we got back it’s been confusing as we already have other cards, and the colour is confusing. My husband has used it at least twice already by accident instead of using his personal Monzo and he didn’t realise, but I had to message him.
Until we have more easily distinguishable current and joint cards, this is not useful. we will stick with our nationwide joint account.

This topic fascinates me, purely because every bank that I’ve ever dealt with (which isn’t all of them by any means) only has one style of card regardless of whether we’re talking personal or joint accounts.

Monzo is the first bank in my experience to do something different (by having “joint account” written on joint cards) and yet people seem to expect more as it this is a failing in some way.

I guess it says a lot about suppressed demand for this sort of (relatively simple) thing but I have never heard it come up as an issue with any other bank in the country.

What am I missing?

6 Likes

I’ve wanted a different colour since before JOINT was printed on the card, which I think a fugly horrible design decision. I saw at the time why Monzo might want to stick with Hot Coral, for brand awareness, but since they’ve diluted that now with Plus, I think it’s a shame they’ve gone the traditional route of different designs for different account types.

Monzo have proved it’s logistically possible to issue different joint cards, I just wish they’d been as bold as they usually are, and done something completely groundbreaking.

My sarcky comment as such on the Plus thread is quickly becoming my most–liked comment, if that indicates something.

@Feathers I’m of the same mindset, my only thinking is that of this forum and Monzo giving that opportunity to request feedback and suggestions which other banks do not.

It confuses me when people make a payment on a wrong card when it says ‘Joint’ on it.

I personally want Monzo to stick with the hot coral design, it’s the brand identity, it’s what gets them noticed, talked about.

It might be that it gets redesigned so that people can’t get confused.

Anyone that has made the payment on a wrong card, ie on joint rather than personal. Can I ask was it a google pay/apple pay transaction? And that by accident, the joint card was the default card or is the just the case the card was not looked at during the POS. Would be interesting to know.

I’ve never had a Joint account before, until Monzo. So my experience is entirely based on that. I’d probably complain to A.N. Other bank if they issued same coloured Joint cards too, as it’s a ‘simple’ (cost tbc etc) thing to fix for a nicer, more considered, user experience.

Plus, how many other banks have a forum where we, the people, can voice opinions collectively on such a simple thing? (Again, my experience is with Bank of Scotland, Clydesdale Bank, and Monzo, YMMV).

1 Like

Agreed - I have a Monzo joint account and even in a rush, I just don’t think I’d use the wrong card.

That being said, I agree with @j06 - Now the “hot coral” is no longer a must have due to brand identity, Monzo could offer a different colour for joint account cards.

It’s true that no other bank has done this, but from what I’ve seen, it would be universally appreciate from the forum dwellers (maybe not 100%, but you get the gist), and I’m sure the appreciation would spread to the non forum dwellers.

It’s a tiny thing in the grand scheme of things, but it adds a little bit of separation between Monzo and the “legacy banks”.

I think I’ve done this a couple of times when in a rush but not many at all.

The main thing is I always end up pulling the wrong card out no matter how organised I try to be with my wallet. This is because when they’re in there, the ‘joint account’ words are not visible.

Kind of like when you try and put a USB stick into a computer. Guaranteed, no matter how hard you try you’ll never get it right the first time :rofl:

So while it isn’t a payment issue, it would be nice to have a more obvious difference between the two and the only thing I can think of is colour :slight_smile:

1 Like

I normally get it wrong twice and sit for a while confused.

3 Likes

I guess this is why it fascinates me. For such a simple thing to have such a demand across the limited and self-selected user-base of the forum, the implication for the suppressed demand across the country bears some consideration.

This is how I imagine the cards must feel when they’re in the same wallet :joy::joy:

11 Likes

What if having Monzo Plus allowed you a different colour joint card as well as main card? :thinking:

Would that be a good value-add?

4 Likes

I could definitely see people paying for that.

That may push me to buy into Plus…

If it was card colour alone, I wouldn’t buy plus.

If it was grouped in with other worthwhile benefits, then I’d consider it.

Personally, I think it would feel a little… “legacy” to coin a phrase thrown around here quite a bit, to charge for something as simple as card colour.

When Barclays can offer a completely custom card for free, Monzo charging for the card colour wouldn’t seem right in my opinion :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Alas, my poor photoshopping skills to show how Monzo should have designed the three card styles currently available (personal, investor and joint which currently are veeery similar). Obviously, using the raised font of the plus preview and not my awful font attempt.

5980495168d2ae7061b83c02d966fcde86bf7aeb

3 Likes

This is what I meant, as an additional value-add to Monzo Plus along with everything else :grinning:

1 Like

Depends what the other benefits were.

From what I’ve seen previously, it wouldn’t be enough for me to personally sign up to Monzo plus.

For something that isn’t reliant on a third party (like insurance), it would be great to see it as either a one off fee for people who want it, or simply another option for customers (providing it’s not too expensive for Monzo to do this obvs).

I get that Monzo don’t have the luxury of the big boys here, and can’t throw money around willy nilly, but I’d rather not see little touches like this be stuck behind a paywall.

Again, just my opinion, and I may not be the target market here! :grinning:

5 Likes

Id want my joint account to be plus

Monzo+1

1 Like

Right now the only difference between my personal account card and my joint account card is that the later says “joint account” with small letters on the upper left corner. Is there a possibility to make them more visually distinct?