Is a Rolex a good Investment?

I think if you’re buying an “investment” then look into investment options. If you’re buying a watch because you like it, and a happy consequence is that the price increases - that’s winning.

Buy a luxury good if you want, don’t buy it as an idea of an investment … as it might all fail. But saying that, from what I’ve read + people I follow, certain watches will increase in price - some more rapidly than others.

Basically, buy a watch you like because you like it, not as a way to make money … simple.

If it works for you then go for it :+1:

Anything that’s unnecessary in my eyes gets pushed out of my life.

That being said i do own a watch, it’s called a OnePlus…it has Google Maps too! :open_mouth:

Agreed, I have a Sub and wanted one since I was a kid. (I know nothing tho, obviously!)

It will last a lifetime and never fail me, the build quality Is Immense. I wouldn’t buy it as an investment, just as something that I will never need to replace.

Seems unnecessary, My 3310 did that! :wink:

That’s funny because I absolutely hate carrying the phone around, carrying anything around really.

Sooner humans evolve to telepathically iMessage each other the better.

1 Like

I knew you were going to say that :crystal_ball:

1 Like

I wouldn’t say that people who know nothing about watches buy Rolex - what an uninformed response :joy:.

I did go into my reasoning somewhat further down from my initial post (please see quote above)

Cough cough what an uninformed response cough cough.

Colds :wink:

:point_up_2:

I stand corrected. :+1:

1 Like

Do you eat in MacDonalds by any chance

I very rarely find myself in McDonald’s, Chad.

Whilst I wouldn’t buy anything jewellery related as an investment, the actual price of most pieces of jewellery (and certainly watches), has increased over time, meaning that if nothing else, you’d likely get your money back, but more than likely… increase it.

Sorry, but that doesn’t make it a good financial investment. You expect most things to increase in value over time, that’s inflation. You have to look at other options and compare it.

Jewleery has ongoing costs (insurance, storage) and a lot of risk (risk that particular item won’t appreciate, risk it breaks, risk it gets stolen etc). There’s also a liquidity problem - selling in a hurry might mean selling at a dicount cost. Compare this to, say, investing in a FTSE100 tracker and it’s just a bad investment decision, through and through - higher risks, lower liquidity, lower average returns after costs are counted.

That doesn’t mean its a bad thing to own or anything, just that from a purely financial standpoint it’s not a good investment option.

Now the question around Rolex
I have over 13 yrs ago invested in a Rolex and must say it has turned out to be a worthwhile investment
I didn’t purchase the item to emulate some posh guy who wants to show off with his money but more as a sensible means of investing money into something that pays a better premium than the meagre interests provided by today’s banks And savings accounts.
Additionally I do wear the watch daily as it is a solid, and more importantly a reliable time piece.
Hopefully one day my children will inherit this timepiece and with that some memories of their father who used to wear it both at work and at home.

Not sure who you are arguing with there? As I (and many others have said), we wouldn’t buy jewellery as an investment… But that doesn’t mean it’s a terrible decision. It just depends what you want from it.

You have thought about it as a financial stocks and shares investment. I might think of it as an investment where I likely won’t lose any money, have something valuable to pass to children etc, and one day perhaps sell it.

I’m not buying jewellery to make money, but it’s a much better use of my funds than a new iPhone every year costing £1,000 plus…

You have thought about it as a financial stocks and shares investment.

I didn’t think about it as a stocks and shares investment, I compared it to one - that’s different. I was pretty open about the fact I was discussing it purely as a financial investment.

As I said, it may have other qualities (e.g. sentiment, aesthetics, prestige) that make it something you want to buy anyway.

This, from someone whose girlfriend makes him dress up as Peter Pan at the weekend :joy:

3 Likes

Personally, I think it’s sweet that she wants to go as a couples costume.

Also I move in fairley large and diverse social circles :blush:

Keep this on topic please

Unless Peter Pan wore a Rolex :thinking:

We can imagine he does :wink:

So I am very close to reaching my goal and purchasing a Rolex however, I have heard news and blogs on youtube about the Rolex steel models reaching their peak and now the bubble has burst. Does this mean that it probably isn’t the best time to invest/buy a rolex?