iOS 16

Some serious updates to Safari / WebKit in iOS 16.4.

Maybe a bit overdue but nice one Apple :+1:.

1 Like

The beta updates going to kill the public testing out Dev betas. Probably not a bad thing. Although feel the lockdown is a bit restrictive but not a Dev so can’t really comment.

2 Likes

To be honest the public should just use the public beta’s. If there was no public beta program it would be different but the dev betas can be so early and buggy it should ideally go on a dev device.

4 Likes

For those fancy screenshot fans.

1 Like

Looks like those of us that were somehow given free access to the developer program are soon to be out of luck. Whatever system validates phones to get the dev beta is a bit more aware of what you should be allowed to access. I still have access to the developer Profile and that still works, but I’d guess those are going away with iOS 17.

Yes, it’s now authenticated by your Apple ID, not a beta profile installed on the device. You need a paid developer subscription under the same Apple ID for it to work now.

1 Like

This was announced as part of 16.4. Pretty sure was covered somewhere on here. But you can sign in to a different Apple ID just for the beta program. But you need the details for that account. And I am sure any accounts with too many linked devices will be flagged.

1 Like

A sad day for me and those who used to get dev beta profiles to get our hands on the new iOS a couple of weeks early. Looks like I’ll have to wait the customary ~1 month after 5 June :frowning:

2 Likes

I know that.

For the 16.4 beta everything was fine. The 16.5 beta has gotten wise to me.

Yes - I have a paid developer subscription and the 16.4 RC removed the installed profile.

It’s a lot handier just being able to switch betas on and off rather than messing about with profiles then having to reboot.

Having bricked a device in the past on the first developer beta of a new iOS, this may not be a bad thing!

1 Like

I like living on the edge and if something were to go bad I’d know I only had myself to blame. But been doing Day 1 Dev Beta since iOS 10/11 and touch wood never had an issue.

2 Likes

Again, I know that. I don’t need this explaining to me.

I guess I’m not being clear.

I stopped paying for my developer account years ago, but due to some glitch still had access to the profile downloads (there’s at least one other person on this forum that got the same glitch). On top of that, the new method for Apple to authenticate devices for the dev beta still worked in 16.4 for me.

This however has now changed this week with 16.5. That’s what I’m apparently failing to say.

Me too but I think this is a good move from Apple, personally. While you and I accept the risks, I imagine there are many who do this, brick or damage their device and then go and winge at apple as a result.

Just do what the UK banks do, and have seven thousand pop ups with increasingly angrier messaging telling you that it is your fault if something goes wrong then just block people’s Apple ID if they still bitch and moan.

They could even run an alpha and a beta build for public - alpha being the current dev beta.

3 Likes

I was just making conversation :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well, I guess I now know how it feels for women when I mansplain things.

4 Likes

But you don’t know though, do you?

This is a sad day for Canada, and therefore the world

Could they pull the 1 month forward accepting the fact people previously just did it anyway? Maybe a week or so to ensure no show stopping bugs.

1 Like