Introducing the new Monzo Plus

I really like that there is no included insurence. You always can get one if you want, the bundled ones are always the one you wouldn’t buy yourself.
I waited for Virtual Cards and ability to pay from pots - fingers croased for second part :crossed_fingers:
It would be great if you could attach external card to pot
Plus page looks great :grin:
I would only add more ways to Invest, it is what is great in revolut, you can buy stocks, gold, crypto. At lest do Moneybox, Wealthify, Wealthsimple integrations as well
Ah, and also add external cards to main transaction list :grin:

4 Likes

Think monzo got so far with app like new design was major change to basic monzo but once original monzo plus happened the making monzo side stopped only tinny improvements were added since which was carry on as you were

I can be pretty sure that’s something Monzo will go nowhere near.

2 Likes

Too many crypto scams and one was on Rip off Britain this week wouldn’t trust crypto

2 Likes

I miss the old UI, and the old way of doing things dearly. But I also like this new approach they’ve taken. It was nice to feel surprised, excited, and joy. A rare feat only ever achieved by the likes of Apple and Nintendo for me.

I feel like the issue with those changes were mostly down to lack of polish. The plus tab feels really well polished compared to the rest of app. It’s the same UX, but it feels better, and I hope they take those new polished elements and apply them app-wide.

3 Likes

I’ve added virtual cards to some regular card payments I previously had with Amex.

Works very well - great feature :clap:t3:

One question I have is what’s the relevance of showing the inactive virtual cards? (these are ones I deleted when initially experimenting with the feature)

It’d be great if they could not be shown as I don’t see any benefit to the user experience - I know there’s a mention that a user can create 100 max but that’s going to be hard to hit given 5 is the active limit.

Or perhaps there can be a notification in App if a user gets to say 50% and then 80% of their allowance. I just don’t see any benefit in showing inactive/deleted cards if nothing can be done with them.

4 Likes

That’s interesting that you’ve created one per service. I’ve made two so far, one for subscriptions, one for using online. I could just use one for both things, but I’m hoping at some point down the line we will get pots integration so I can assign my subscription card to a pot where I can set aside money for my subscriptions. I’ll probably find more uses for them if/when we get that pots support too.

I’m confused by this too. Initially I thought that it would be so you could view past card details in the event you need to claim a refund and the card has expired or been deleted, but they don’t show you that. Quite bizarre.

3 Likes

Are pension bee in scope for account integration? It sounds like they have embraced open API but there from 30 second of googling

1 Like

I think it is possible to make up to 100 virtual cards and enable and disable them in and out of use as required but you can only have 5 active at any one time.

I havent played with the feature in detail but that was my understanding…

2 Likes

For reference the terms are here, linked in the app on the second page of the Plus onboarding, just before you pay:

2 Likes

I agree but I don’t understand from a UX perspective the relevance in showing the inactive cards as I can’t do anything with them.

1 Like

Yeah I’m not 100% sure I’ll keep it this way but these are the main recurring payments I have right now so wanted to try as this to start. I’ll still probably use Amex for other online payments but I was a bit frustrated with subscription payments failing with amex recently so this is a great time to try a different approach as it’s also easy to categorise the payments from each virtual card as they show in a different colour on the spending list.

1 Like

Hi, can you buy things and assign them to come out of a certain pot with monzo plus? Say for example groceries would come out of groceries pot and petrol automatically come out of a transport pot?

No.

This conversation is confusing :sweat_smile:

#doppelgänger

3 Likes

… giving Plus a try and seeing how it goes!

As a piece of initial feedback, it’d be great if I could change the order/visibility of “Other Accounts” (like you can with Personal/Joint pots).

I have four accounts with other banks (3 with A and 1 with B), some of the accounts I’m more interested in seeing than others.

1 Like

If you’re really keen on this, you can do it with hyperjar already using just the one card

Thanks, that’s helpful. I’ll check out NatWest. I’ve got 2 months free with Plus so might give a whirl and see how it feels and check out the competition in the meantime

Phew! Made it to the end of this thread! Question on virtual cards - can they be added to wallet section on iPhone? I don’t mean Apple Pay but the saved cards section in settings so that you can auto complete when at the checkout?

Any idea when this will work on joint accounts?

4 Likes