Introducing Strong Customer Authentication: What you need to know

How friggin stupid. Typical UK clinging onto out-dated technology and solutions. I don’t carry any cards. Everything is contactless in my phone, it’s damn secure, and it’s the only thing I carry. So now, with this change, I could be at a checkout and be refused to pay contactless !!?? And I would be unable to pay because all my cards are safely locked away at home, possibly 100s of miles away !? Have I got this right ?
Which drongoes thought this was a good way forward !!??

2 Likes

…Notwithstanding the fact that I enter my PIN on my phone for every transaction because, technically, my phone now IS my card !

I really need to sit somewhere quiet for a while :grin:

Apple/Google Pay transactions are not included in this.

6 Likes

I don’t think it applies to contactless with a phone, just with the plastic card.

1 Like

Ah, that’s not so bad. I was hoping I’d got it all wrong :grin:

Phone transactions are part of SCA, but they are handled differently (unlocking device counts as entering PIN);

2 Likes

It’s interesting to me that online PIN hasn’t been adopted in the UK, thus the need for actual insertions, old school style like when contactless was offline. This could easily be the death of contactless cards in the UK, which to be honest is probably the goal :slight_smile:

P.S. if anyone doubts me on killing contactless cards being the goal - why not? I find it odd that the US, always behind, is finally introducing contactless cards. I figured US banks would just skip it. They have little point anymore, as the only reason for the card is if you’re at a shop that doesn’t take contactless (since you’d use your phone if they did). To me, this (not SCA itself, that’s a law, but rather the UK not adopting online PIN) feels like a way to encourage people still using their card to stop using it and switch to their phone.

3 Likes

I like using Apple Pay, and not taking my bank card with me, now I’m going to have to carry my bank card in case they ask me to use it and put the pin in :roll_eyes:

i’m not sure how many times we need to repeat this…

Apple/google pay is not part of this. This is for card payments

7 Likes

No you’re not.

Just sharing this from a different thread to clear this up:

1 Like

I’m pretty sure that the number of times you will have to repeat it is “an infinite number” of times… :wink:

2 Likes

Oh ok, thanks for letting me know, I didn’t see the comment where it said about Apple Pay not being put of it.

Thanks for the info.

Erin explained this in detail on another thread, it’s apparently agains Mastercard rules to use online PIN with contactless in the UK.

Yes I found that in a document dated 2016, though I also swear I’ve had online PIN with contactless in the UK. I can’t remember if it was MasterCard tho it’s been ages.

Also that message hints at the same thing I’m thinking… Not allowing online PIN means SCA is a chance to make contactless cards so frustrating to use that people might quit using them.

There may be a small crossover market where people who were previously scared on contactless may now start using it (because being checked fequently willy give them more confidence), but it would certainly put me right off using my card. Luckily for me, I already use Google Pay for everything I can nowadays.

1 Like

Quote from a Monzo staff member

• TfL and other city transport systems aren’t included so you don’t need to worry about holding everyone up at the barriers!
  • Unattended terminals such as those in a car park are also not included

Is there any chance a warning could pop up in the Monzo app asking you to use your pin on the next transaction and avoiding delays at the next payment?

You’ll need to do a chip and pin transaction as it’s to prove you have possession of the card

1 Like

Oh, I’ll edit.