Introducing Monzo Premium

my sympathy to the person having the tough time, i hope you feel better soon and get help with this incident and problem.

detaching a little from this customer’s story what I would say is that for me an incident of theft and the cleanup that goes with it is an anxious enough thing. Reconciling the fact someone intruded and did this, to cancelling cards and waiting for new ones etc. The absolute last thing I need is also knowing my card itself is a thing of any sort of material value/hassle to replace :cold_sweat::dizzy_face:

just seems crazy

I don’t see why Monzo should waive the fees. If you have had it stolen, then you have to pay the fee, same as if your phone is stolen, or your wallet, or anything else you own.

What I guess Monzo could do, is give the option of a non-Premium replacement card if you want, to save some of the cost… But personally, premium members chose that card, and the cost associated it with it, it’s pain, yes.

Maybe premium card insurance is a thing that someone could set up as a side hustle :joy:

2 Likes

Oh the irony that the Premium account would cover the cost of the phone being stolen… :rofl:

8 Likes

Maybe Monzo are missing a trick by not getting the insurance provider to cover the cost of a new Premium Card

2 Likes

Or just having one free one with a crime reference number.

I guess I’m saying this without any data on how many premium cards are reported stolen, but I can’t imagine it’s a vast number, and it would certainly put a slightly sour taste in my mouth if after having something stolen from me I had to pay £50.

4 Likes

Monzo PremiumPlus :thinking:, includes metal card loss insurance and beakdown cover, plus all, erm…, Plus and Premium features and access to :monzo: Credit Card - £17.50

3 Likes

Especially as there appears to be no choice. If a £50 wallet had been stolen, there would at least be a choice whether, or how, to replace it.

I haven’t read the terms and conditions, but is the £50 still payable if the card has been (cough) frauded?

3 Likes

Replacement cards :woman_facepalming:

We’ll never charge you for replacements where your card expires, is faulty or has been swallowed by an ATM.

If you lose your Monzo metal card or it gets stolen, then we’ll charge you £50 to replace it. That’s how much it costs us to get your Monzo Premium card made.

If you need us to post your replacement card to somewhere outside the UK, we’ll charge you the international card delivery fee in all circumstances.

No mention of fraudings.

When a card is swallowed by an ATM, what happens to it? Is it returned to the bank (eventually)? Is it automatically destroyed?

Not that I am saying you could lie and say that’s where it went. No sir.

4 Likes

I was thinking about that. How is it any different when a human takes your card vs an ATM?

I should disclose that I’m recently feeling very… strongly about the mental impact having something stolen from you can have. Walked out of my local tube the other day and as I was pausing my music someone tried to grab my phone and cycle away.

They didn’t get it and I felt shocked but fine, but over the next couple of days I’ve genuinely started to get panicked when someone walks up behind me on the street. Hard to explain, but even attempted theft (technically robbery but, you know…) has thrown me.

5 Likes

Urgh, how horrible! Glad they didn’t get it!

I’m so lax with that sort of thing, luckily where I am, it’s not such an issue.

As for lost vs stolen, I guess from a Monzo point of view, everyone would just say it was stolen so they might as well just offer free replacements at that point.

I guess that’s why I would say it needs to be reported to the police, which should weed out most people who are lying.

1 Like

Happened to me last summer. Two guys on a scooter. Likewise, they didn’t get it. I reported it to the police because I took the reg, and figured it would be intelligence for them at least.

As it happened, they caught the guy, and he had committed 12 or so thefts and attempted thefts that day.

It’s always worth reporting, in my view, both from an intelligence point of view, and if the person is eventually caught, the more crimes they can pin on him/her the greater the potential slap on the wrist.

4 Likes

Agreed, though I got little to no information, just that it was a young male on a bike. That’s all.

I just logged it when I got to work next.

2 Likes

No. Mine was apparently suspected of being “fraud Ed”* and Monzo sent me a new one.

I say apparently, as I never saw any suspect transactions or reported anything to Monzo, just got a “We’re sending you a new card, as yours may have been exposed” (or similar) notification one day.

*autocorrect got me here, but I’m leaving it, as even Apple don’t think frauded is a word

4 Likes

That’s because it isn’t a word.

11 Likes

Regrettably with more and more use it will become a proper word. Rather inelegant. I much prefer defrauded. R-

I gave up my £15 Halifax Ultimate Reward account and moved to Monzo & upgraded to Monzo Plus. I looked at the Monzo Premium, but the truth is, I was paying £15 at Halifax, and got more for the same money. So to me it wasn’t worth upgrading. The Ultimate Reward account offered Travel and mobile phone insurance and basic AA breakdown cover. It also had lots of little offers that renewed each month. The Travel Insurance I wasn’t interested with but the phone insurance & breakdown cover were excellent. So paying the Monzo Premium didn’t have the same appeal to me.

However I changed to Monzo because this format is the future of banking and I believe in it.

The premium account could be better in terms of its offerings. You could also create a Monzo “Green” account that partnership’s with another agency in providing a wooden debit card (there is a company bringing them out), that also pledges to plant trees to counteract carbon emissions. There are infinite possibilities with Monzo.

4 Likes

It has been mentioned in the Card Design Thread but Premium Users should have the choice of the Metal Card or choose a Frosted White Plastic Card or Grey/Silver for free as well as Hot Coral :relieved:

I really like this idea but not in the format of a seperate account. Maybe any account level gets to choose a wooden replacement card in the future and if comes with a small optional fee (£1/£2 up to any amount) and that money goes towards planting a tree or two

3 Likes

Yeah, nice idea!

I would certainly be fine with paying £1 for a wooden card knowing a tree has been planted

1 Like