I want to get into a tech career - any advice?

I’m looking to retrain and get out of my current role (non-tech, but work daily with tech companies) and into a tech career (either development or cybersecurity), does any one know of any resources or courses etc that can help with this kind of thing? Anyone done anything similar?

Thanks
Sophie

Hey!

I moved from non-tech to Tech (I’m an Agile Product Manager now).

I’d say the first thing to do is define the direction you want to go in (you can always change it!), do you know any developers or people who do different roles? That’s what I did - from this I found that while I found development interesting, I much preferred to learn a little about it and focus on project management instead.

You talk about courses and resources, they are a great idea. There are loads of free videos on YouTube around IT, some good, some not so good. There’s also LinkedIn learning etc. I’d definitely recommend getting your head around Agile, Scrum/Sprint as that’ll definitely help even if you go down the development route.

Then, build contacts, network a little and keep an open mind as you start your journey. It definitely can be done, I went from a total non-tech background to 5 years now in IT Project Management & development.

Good Luck!

4 Likes

Don’t doubt you self. I moved from a very non-tech job to a developer by just applying

2 Likes

Consider Apprenticeships! I’m currently doing an IT Technician Apprenticeship with TfL to give myself qualifications to show I can do IT (pun intended xD). It may be a bit of a paycut for a while, but you do genuinely get amazing experience and real qualifications out of an Apprenticeship. :3

“Just do it” :smile:
A bunch of years ago I was going design. One day I sat down and learned programming (not in one day tho :smile: ). Now I am web dev. If I can do it with my brain fog and erratic learning then everyone can do it. I mean the programming. Getting in non-programming IT stuff should be easier I think.

2 Likes

Thanks! Did you get a qualification to do it? Interested in how to actually make the change…

Hm…not really. It was more like the middle ages thing where you are asked if you can do the work :smile:

Boss of the company asked me if I can do it and then presented me with a work. After successful completion of that work (test) I was hired.

It was a web dev agency. It was my first web dev job. Every next job I got I was relaying on my prev. work experience.

Somehow no one ever asked me about my qualifications… :smiley:

Advice? Don’t do it!! Nah kidding…

Depends where your interests lie. If you fancy becoming a programmer, then take some courses, do some coding in your own time, learn about latest trends. You’d be going up in interviews against people with degrees, doesn’t mean they are better, you may be a better fit to the team/company so don’t let that dissuade you.

If you want to go into the ‘business’ side then look at other roles that support the building of software. In a previous place a tester we hired had no experience whatsoever but was smart, had read up on what the role required and admitted he was taking a punt as a career change. Turned out to be one of the best testers we had after he was mentored through his first few months. Many of the supporting roles can be technical, support engineers who like problem solving spring to mind.

Some places will care about qualifications, and some will be more interested in you and what you are driven by. Worst case is you apply somewhere, get an interview and they say no. You’ve still then had job interview experience (and they all differ).

And as has been said, network! Get on LinkedIn. Read articles, attend free events if you can. Most of IT is knowledge based to get in the door, after that it’s about how quick you learn how ‘things are done’ which is always different place to place.

Good luck! It can be a wonderfully fun and challenging place to work.

2 Likes

I made this move so think I can add something here. (I was a speechwriter at the House of Commons back in the day, did a Microsoft Course and started a new career in IT … this was back in 2001 when an MCSE was worth more than my Masters…)
I went down the infrastructure route but regret not becoming a developer so think you’re making a brilliant decision. Despite what is a healthy salary I still toy with the idea of making the move at the advanced age of 45 and have been very tempted by the new wave of training paths and interesting funding structures like Flatiron school (https://flatironschool.com/). It’s quite a phenomenon in the States and deserves consideration as a path depending on where you are in your career.

1 Like