I regret going full Monzo

A massive headache to have a high level roadmap? I’m more worried that they DON’T have something like this internally already.

And they don’t know what’s going to change until they release to the store… even more troubling. You mean everyone just works on stuff and no-one tests it and they put it in to a release and just throw it up there and hope for the best?

And backend code? Who cares about that. Read my post again, in fact, don’t bother, cos I’m done with this nonsense. Have a great day!

4 Likes

I think I’ve lost track of where this is supposed to be going. Everyone’s guessing how Monzo work and then debating the guesses with no factual input at all? It’s an interesting read but it’s fairly circular. :pensive:

6 Likes

As soon as you add a new feature you don’t have a stable base anymore. Everything potentially interacts with every other thing in potentially unexpected ways.

Pretty much every company uses an MVP approach, it’s been accepted as the standard across all software development for about 20 years now. The difference with most other companies is that they don’t iterate their initial MVP ever (or even bother creating a feature in the first place), they just leave the same buggy, flawed feature in place for 10 years before replacing it with a new buggy, flawed feature.

They already release a high-level roadmap? I’m sure I’ve read what their plans are for this year in terms of feature? You seem to expecting a week-by-week version?

This isn’t troubling at all? A release is made up of everything that they’re happy is done at a particular point in time. Something might be expected to get to 100% by the cut-off for the next release but only end up being 99% and pulled from the release at the last minute. Often you can expect to get something done in the next couple of days but get blocked by something stupid for months.

The app often changes because of the backend. Feature flags get turned on or off, data feeds change, bugs seemingly in the app appear because the backend has changed.

This is called disagreeing with someone. You don’t go on the Internet and expect everyone to hold the same views as you and you don’t go on a forum if you don’t want to risk someone arguing why their view is different. If you don’t want to chat to other customers about things then use the support facility in the app or send an email. This forum is specifically for Monzo customers to talk to other customers about their views.

7 Likes

Which is why you use the testflight or other beta options available to you, so you don’t roll out a super buggy release to your entire customer base - Monzo don’t use the beta app in that way though, it’s seemingly a 5 day headstart over the public release.

Clearly you work in the industry, and that’s fine. But if I look at nearly all of the apps I use on a semi regular basis, none of them are as buggy as Monzo is. Some of them don’t get updated for a long time, and when new features are added, they have been thoroughly tested. The best example I can think of is “Things” by Cultured Code - I’m sure other people who use this app will agree.

I could name loads of others as well, but I won’t bore you.

A lot of passionate Monzo customers on here :grinning:

Wouldn’t see this for any of the legacy banks

5 Likes

shrugs maybe this is where we differ. I’m on the beta channel and very rarely see any bugs.

MVP doesn’t mean has bugs, if you’re seeing bugs that’s not the fault of MVP. That’s why MVP shouldn’t be restricted to beta/testflight. MVP means the product initially lacks all the bells and whistles and therefore may force you to do things in a slightly odd way or only do half of what you want.

Going back to the original topic of the thread, the question is would you rather see an MVP approach to this or a full featured one? The former might mean that all your bills have to come out of a single pot but you get to have it in 3 months and the full featured version might let you say which bills come out of which pots but you don’t get to have it for a year. I think pretty much everyone would lean towards the former, rather than the latter?

1 Like

Not sure if they are more JA related, but it all seems to be super slow, the occasional crash and a bit glitchy of late.

I agree with you, and I think we were talking about slightly different things.

I still see Monzo releasing MVP features and not developing them further (which gives the impression of half baked end products).

But in your example, as long as the feature worked, I’d be happy to see it released, and improved upon once useable to an extent.

1 Like

I didn’t find one and have returned to my old ways with my legacy account as my main one, a separate bills account, and Monzo a spending card as it was in the pre-paid card days.

Sad, however, it just never worked out easier for me, and, although I appreciate it is _beta_mode tinkering with the apps, I am finding a lot of the features to finicky for me.

Have even started using my Starling account more as a separate spending card too.

Four accounts is not want I envisaged, though better than the 13 current accounts I had 18 months ago!

Good luck with your banking ventures. I hope you find a solution that fits you.

:smile:

1 Like

Were you money laundering? :sweat_smile::rofl:

2 Likes

Exactly. :+1::+1:

2 Likes

ha ha, no.

3 linked to 5% regular savers (2 now gone or reduced)
2x tesco accounts @ 3% (now gone and only 1%)
monzo
starling
etc
all with a defined purpose.
account switching offers - made nearly a grand

Glad it has reduced though as AML regulations would trigger a lot of my transactions back then, bouncing money between accounts, as a lot of MSE readers do too.

Waiting for First Direct to block my account as I use their free cash deposits at the post office to move the odd bit of cash around. Not £000s, but it goes in and transferred out to the intended account within the hour.

A feature I could conduct via Starling, however, FD is retained at the moment for one of the last remaining 5% regular saver accounts.

Santander’s has reduced to 3% and now 2.5% since I last took one out. Won’t be renewing that one!

3 Likes

No, that’s what testing is for. For example, do you think the software that controls planes is unstable as soon as there are any changes put live? Of course not. Everything has been thoroughly tested by the time it makes it to production.

Monzo’s only product is a banking app. I’d say it’s absolutely critical that their production app is pretty much bulletproof.

2 Likes

Well, unless it’s a Boeing 737 Max…

6 Likes

Yea of all the times to use a plane analogy this really wasn’t the right time :joy:

3 Likes

I can see why it’s more complicated for you and if it’s becoming stressful then I think using 2 accounts would probably be worthwhile until the committed spending pot is ready.

Scheduled pot withdrawals work for many, but everyone thinks about and manages money differently. Hopefully when the pot is available it will work for you, so you can only have 1 account again :crossed_fingers:

Could ask Boeing, I s’pose :wink:

2 Likes

Too soon… :man_facepalming: :wink:

Different industry (mine), different rules. (Not always successfully followed although I don’t blame Boeing testing from what I know of this case, albeit from media reports only)

If Monzo ran to our airborne testing and release regime we’d still be waiting for the first Monzo current accounts to arrive and they’d have already run out of money.

There is no way that analogy makes any sort of sense in the real world.

6 Likes

I miss the roadmaps like how they used to have it in the past. The big list and also the trello board . It was very convenient

6 Likes

Totally get why having a separate account for bills is a great way to go. I’ve just changed all my bills over to a joint account. Its great to set the money aside and forget about it.

Prior to this I was using http://squirrel.me Might be worth using this until Monzo have a solution in place? That sets aside bill money and transfers it across to your account the day before it’s due out.

Either that or make use of the “Left to spend” figure under summary.

When items are setup as direct debits or scheduled summary take it into account. My salary goes in and I take my summary as my balance.

So after bills and savings I leave £200 to myself for the month so that’s setup in summary and the count down and prediction on spending is what I go off.

That ways bills etc can come out but it doesn’t impact your summary page just your balance.