I regret going full Monzo

Has the OP tried to get all their DD’s payment dates shifted to pay day or very shortly afterwards.
This would probably solve her problem.

I like the idea of seeing these too.

But, as a Agile Product Manager by trade, I can understand why they might not. It almost becomes counter-intuitive, as you’re focusing on releasing products at pace, so keeping long range road-maps becomes an admin task that loses priority especially as things change.

But, I’d miss those too.

2 Likes

I get you point about wanting to focus so much effort into the current project that it is developed as you say, at pace. But surely the next feature and the feature after that isn’t just plucked out of the sky. There have to be checks and balances, project updates, project meetings.

I don’t think anyone is asking for a day by day, week by week update schedule - it just sometimes feels there is a gap in communication between what is being worked on, what is being thought about and what is being dropped.

I hope we can get somewhere where there is a happy medium - my personal opinion is that something akin to the Big List is brought back as it gave a rough idea of what was going on - if things change, fine but having that general idea is probably quite comforting.

1 Like
  1. Bugs aren’t anything to do with MVP (unless you’re specifically referring to bugs in the new features). You could argue it’s a flaw in Agile if you like but it seems like it’s just inadequate testing process from Monzo.

2. You know precisely what features you want from a plane before you build it. The whole point of MVP is it’s a discovery process because no one really knows in advance what will work or what people will want.

3. How long does it take to design a plane? If you only want things to be released when bullet-proof then Monzo would never have been created or released.

4. How often are new features added to a plane? Again, basically never, because everytime they update the software there’s risks of introducing issues.

As others have mentioned, in the wake of the 737 MAX scandal, planes probably aren’t the best example, especially considering that it seems like the issue with the 737 MAX is shoddy software.

1. It sounds like you probably don’t want a fast-moving mobile app that aspires to not be a bank but instead a financial hub. If that’s the case then I’m not entirely sure why you ever thought Monzo would be your right fit? They’ve said from the start they intend to innovate rapidly, break stuff, try out new things, etc. not create a bulletproof banking experience
4 Likes

It’s desperately needed.

Monzo isn’t the right fit for me, I bank with Starling.

In terms of being “bulletproof”, there are countless examples on here where needless bugs have been introduced through what can only be described as a complete lack of proper testing.

If a new feature is introduced that you have to opt into through the Labs section, then by all means one might expect to find bugs. I imagine that’s the whole point of releasing certain new features this way - to obtain feedback and improve on the final product before it goes live to the wider audience.

At some point, even the most ardent of Monzo fans have to admit that the QA isn’t always up to scratch. And for anyone thinking this is just me being anti-Monzo, not at all. I was equally critical of Starling on their forum when it came to live bugs that could easily have been caught with a bit of QA. These are banks and their USP is that they are mobile only. They should be held to a high standard. A traditional bank introducing bugs at the same rate would be ridiculed!

6 Likes

people that get up in arms when their game has bugs.
A bank shouldn’t have bugs full-stop (for disclosure I’m full Monzo)

2 Likes

I’m a bit lost about what’s drawn you to this thread. Maybe I need to go back and read it all (but can’t be bothered) but it’s a thread about adding a new feature into Monzo that spiralled off into a discussion about whether Monzo should realise features with limited functionality (as soon as the feature is viable/remarkable) or wait until they’re fully featured, it has nothing to do with Monzo’s (possibly lacklustre) QA process.

All banks have bugs. All software has bugs. My HSBC and Metro Bank apps regularly have issues. The only difference is that I already expect such a bad experience from those two banks that it doesn’t really surprise me (and I do everything I can to avoid their apps). It’s fine to say that “x shouldn’t have bugs” but it does and it will. The question is about how you can reduce those bugs.

8 Likes

This so much. All the legacy bank apps are absolutely riddled with bugs. They just don’t have a passionate community that continuously writes on their forum about the app to talk about the bugs.

1 Like

One of the reasons I switched away from Barclays is because the app is utter trash, kind of get the feeling some people on here don’t know what they are talking about

7 Likes

The normal method is to partition them into an early or test flight which they already do. Then production app should be stable.
If you’re complaining about bugs in testflight etc. Just change back to the stable version.
If there are bugs in the stable version, then you’re shipping versions too quickly for production and they should be held for longer in Testflight.
It also depends on the nature of the bug, A cosmetic one is fine. One that causes your App crash and lock you out is critical.

1 Like

Not all bank apps are trash and buggy - they may not have as much functionality as Monzo, but that’s due to backend systems and not the app.

Are you, really? The original post was about why someone regretted going “full Monzo”. Around 50 posts in I posted to offer advice to the OP. A few posts later, a number of people discussed the MVP approach, including you and Monzo staff. That was what took it off topic, all I have done is given my opinion.

10 Likes

I asked about this on the chat, for me to fully convert i would need DDs to come out of a pot, and ideally being able to transfer money into a pot and it not touch my main account - easily done with reference name. That way could throw money in my ISA or another pot without the burndown on the homescreen being effected and of course my budgets.

2 Likes

This is my view on it too! :flushed:

I think summary is great if you are “Monzo everything” - But I’ve never been able to set it up correctly, and actually trust it (which is the main issue).

For anyone who doesn’t keep their savings with Monzo (because, why would you if you want to maximise your interest), or for people who use credit cards for their daily spend - Summary becomes utterly useless.

Personally, having tried EMMA, Yolt and everything in-between, the old school spreadsheet is my go to method of keeping track of things (coupled with 95% of DD’s leaving at the start of the month).

Understandably, Monzo want you to use your account for everything, and some of the features are set up in that way.

But if you don’t, you just have to find a work around - Even DD’s from a pot wouldn’t change much for me now I’ve got all DD’s coming out at the start of the month - But I can see why it would be much more useful if your DD’s are split over the month.

3 Likes

Spot on - I wasn’t full Monzo, now I am.

Before, the summary was effectivity useless, it only works if everything goes through monzo (seems fair enough tbh). Now that I am, it actually kind works.

I too was reluctant, but recently went full monzo, and don’t regret it one ioata.

6 Likes

That’s exactly the conclusion I came to. There is no automatic algorithmic system which will 100% suit everyone.

3 Likes

I think summary becomes “utterly useless” is a bit strong , the app can only deal with the information you decide to give it , if you have money and spending elsewhere is the app meant to know these things ? For me summary is a guide to my Monzo financial well being , I haven’t given the app all my financial information so I dont expect it to know accurately my financial well being, the answer if you want it to be accurate is move all your finances to Monzo and it then should be accurate - I dont have all my finances with Monzo so summary is for me just a guide.

edit , just re read your post which you have now edited from summary is utterly useless :slight_smile:

3 Likes