I regret going full Monzo

Thanks for that, much appreciate the level of info.

To be honest, I’d be happy with a RAG roadmap… Feature 1 - Green (being built), Feature 2 - Orange (may be next to be built, some initial design mockups done), Feature 3 - Red (not being built/on hold).

And yes, things would change on this list but we’d be able to see that too… Ohhh Feature 2 is Green, Feature 1 is Orange… that sucks but ok. etc etc

1 Like

You pretty much summed up how I feel.

I switched to Monzo hoping that committed/DD pots might be something that followed later as it was actively being talked about in the community, that was a year ago…

3 Likes

Wait, I just worked out what RAG means. Nice.

2 Likes

I did this too

Not too difficult to change direct debit date. All mine were done by logging in online and changing. Didn’t take long

Does it take longer than not doing it at all cos my system already works even though it’s not all in Monzo? :wink:

Not all companies are willing or able to amend your DD to the date you want. Off the top of my head Amex and my council tax are two that I couldn’t choose a date for

Plus some insurance companies will charge you an ‘admin fee’ for changing DD details.

Just to be clear I was only making a suggestion. Just like mine works for me, I understand that different solutions work for others too.

I guess I was fortunate that all mine could be changed (apart from Monzo Plus :speak_no_evil:) and there were no charges either. Just one month I paid a little more to cover the “gap” with some.

If people are happy with their current system then that’s fine but a committed spending pot would help us all regardless :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m happy with my system of using a Starling account as a Committed Spend pot, but I think Monzo would prefer I kept all my money with them.

Hi @shannon,

As some others have suggested, quite a while ago I contacted all the companies that take regular payments - both Direct Debits and recurring card payments. I get paid on the last working day of the month, so I changed all the payment dates to 1st.

Now, anything in my account on 2nd is available for me to spend for the rest of the month. Much easier to budget!

Cheers,
Dan

8 Likes

I was able to set my payment date for both Amex and my council tax bill. I appreciate that council tax date changes will be down to each local council, though if you phone Amex customer services they should be able to change your payment date no problem.

1 Like

For everyone coming in and saying ‘just do this’ or ‘this will just work’ perhaps re-read the OP post.

Yes there are factual solutions, but a lot of money management isn’t about what features/services/products are available but whether or not the person can manage to handle it.

Leaving this thread now, it’s become circular.

I changed my AMEX DD a couple of months ago as I wanted the DD to come out on the 1st of each month but they said the couldn’t do that. It now comes out around the 3rd of each month, so closer than it was originally but still not what I requested. The same happened for my wife when she called up as well.

Sure, I totally get that. But to be fair, there are far more examples where we’ve referenced something we are working on, and it has been a smooth road, and been released.

It’s not always possible to account for shifting company priorities or organizational restructures.

Tristan gave a great talk at Investival about how “the secret sauce of success is failure”.

Ultimately, you learn a lot more from doing something, or being as public as you can be and seeing what happens, rather than making assumptions, spending tons of time and effort on something, only to find out after a years work that it isn’t the right thing.

That’s why we MVP. And some of those MVP’s will fail, and you can’t be scared of that. Some of those things might fail in staff testing. Some might get a public rollout and then fail.

But the risk of scenarios changing is part and parcel of being on the daily pulse of what a company is doing. It’s like being a beta tester. You accept the bumps in the road as a trade off for a higher and more frequent level of engagement.

13 Likes

I completely get that, and I appreciate some will like the MVP approach and others won’t.

For me personally, I’ve probably grown out of the MVP approach because I now want my banking app to be stable with no chance of it going wrong.

It does feel a little like Monzo treats it’s app as a beta testing ground, which offers advantages in the way of being able to roll out new things quickly, and disadvantages in the fact that some of that stuff won’t work, or will break.

I guess where I personally was once chomping at the bit to test the latest and greatest features, I’d rather the app was super stable first, and the features were in addition to a stable app, rather than in place of.

My 2 examples of cheque imagining and committed spending pots are more about how the customer perceives the focus from Monzo.

We were literally just told that it’s not a focus, and then you’ve just said that it is…

I’m not criticising, but it’s difficult to keep up when there is no obvious roadmap, only comments from staff members.

All of this is on top of the fact that I reckon a huge number of people on this forum would say that committed spending pots was the most requested feature (and something Monzo have said they want to do).

Given that, it’s really surprising that it seems it’s been re-assigned to a small team to start from scratch, although again, we don’t have much info other than what you’ve said.

6 Likes

Fab. Let us sign up for a BETA stream/app (I’m on iOS 13 BETA for example). :wink:

And keep doing what you are doing, but every week someone, somewhere in Monzo, must know what teams are working in which area. Abstract it, pull it up a level (everyone is working on the new UI, or everyone is working on Committed Pots) and share that with us. Shouldn’t slow you guys down, and lets us poor schmucks see which part of the app we use every single day is about to change, or not.

This is not a possible option.

You’re literally saying you want features ASAP and also saying you don’t want them released for years.

Do you want committed spending this year or in 2022? If you want it sooner than later then you want MVP.

Things aren’t this black and white. There’s no such thing as “a focus” or not, it’s subjective and sits on a scale (that’s likely on 3 or more axes). Monzo spent some time on it and then for some reason or other they stopped. Now they’re looking to start again but perhaps with a different approach. That’s all there is to know.

5 Likes

Monzo understandably aren’t particularly interested in doing this at this point as it would be a massive headache. They likely don’t know what’s going to change in the app until it’s being released to the store anyway. On top of that the backend code will likely change hundreds of times per day.

1 Like

:thinking: I’m really not. I’m saying that I’d rather have a stable base, and then any new features which were released were well thought through and worked on… 100’s of other companies manage it, and whilst I appreciate and understand what Monzo’s MVP approach is about, it is something I personally could live without - This is an opinion.

The reason why people don’t express their opinion on these forums as much any more, is because you have customers who feel it is their duty to police things and act as gatekeepers, attempting to correct and put down other opinions if they disagree.

Have a great day.

2 Likes