HSBC Global Money Account launched

That is so much better than their UK cards now, and even looks more substantial and better made (as their embossed cards used to be) despite also being a “flat” card. It’s such a shame they’ve decided to get rid of the lions.

Also @gt94sss2, I did see that in the FAQs too. It’s promising but we will have to wait and see if/when they make this feature available. It must not be that close to launch, otherwise surely they would have delayed the whole launch of the account for it?

I had understood that they had planned to launch the product several months ago… so not sure if they had reached the point now where they had to ship something.

I imagine in December HSBC will have a change freeze on their IT systems but hopefully this feature will be coming soon…

1 Like

It does seem like it.

I noticed that the fee information document was dated May 2022, so quite some time ago. I also remember rumours/murmurings this time last year that a launch was supposedly imminent, so it was probably delayed for some reason (likely technical implementation).

It seems to take their app developers quite some time to roll things out - such as the fuss made about the “redesigned” app they tested with customer studio participants which was really little-more than a reskin.

1 Like

I’ve had the global money account with my HSBC US account since May or so, used it a few times as the FX rate was better than what they offered normally and there were no fees for wires.
They’re also offering GMA in Jersey, which I cannot open since I already have it in the US (getting an error message in the app), but it looks like I might be able to open it in the UK app. I’m finding this odd - the US GMA T&Cs mention only being able to hold GMA in one jurisdiction, but I also don’t feel like taking a chance and actually opening it in the UK too.

I’m not keen on the UK GMA tho - the FX rate is poor, so the 2.99%FX fee when using your GBP card is effectively incorporated in the FX rate you get when you move money across. I can’t check what the FX is on the GMA, but I compared transferring €1000 from my GBP UK to my French EUR account and spending the same amount with my GBP visa debit card (with the 2.99% FX fee):

• transferring €1000 to France would cost me: £899.16
  • spending €1000 with my Visa debit would cost me: £899.08

Assuming it’d be the same rate, the only advantage of the GMA is not paying a cash withdrawal fee, which I can bypass anyways by using Curve/Revolut/an actual EUR account. Now, that’s not a representative test, but I don’t expect their FX rates to be that good to make sense using.

1 Like

I don’t think you are correct.

Someone on MSE tested the exchange rate offered and found HSBC GMA offered the best rate of those they compared:

Small comparison of rates right now, £20 GBP to Euro:
HSBC €22.97
Starling €22.90
Fineco €22.93
Wise: €22.67

1 Like

On the HSBC website, it tells me that to open a Global Money account I need to have an Expat account.

To open an Expat account I need to have £50,000 in savings or £100,000 salary (neither of which I have).

Is it not available for the ‘rest of us’ then?

1 Like

HSBC Expat is a different bank than HSBC UK.

You want Global Money Account | Travel Money Card - HSBC UK

2 Likes

Ah thanks! That’s confusing, minus points to HSBC marketing team. Not helpful to have a ‘Global Money Account’ and a ‘Global Money’ product that is also an account :roll_eyes:

Its like HSBC Advance or HSBC Premier - each bank/country is rolling out their own slightly different version using a similar name.

In countries where multi currency accounts are common, they even seem to be offering bank accounts with this functionality.

2 Likes

You are right. Apologies, my comparison above was based on a Euro transfer from GBP current account via Global Transfer, not the GMA.

I’ve opened one now to look at the rates, and they are indeed good!

• HSBC: £873.11 for €1000
  • Wise: £876.28 for €1000 (including their £3.78 fee, so £872.5 on the FX itself)
  • Revolut: £871.98 for €1000

Revolut is still the cheapest, but the convenience of the HSBC GMA might make up for losing £1.13.

I’m now wondering if the GMA in the US will get closed or what🤣

1 Like