How do card payments work?

Hotels (and certain types of merchants) use something called a “pre-authorisation” which we need to keep hold in your account for up to 30 days. It’s not quite the same as a normal authorisation which we only hold for up to 7 days. Unfortunately we don’t have any control over these periods; they are mandated by our card payment processor.

We might be able to reverse (refund) a pre-authorisation under specific circumstances, but it seems like you’ve already been in touch with our COps to ask.

2 Likes

I actually prefer that the money is taken from my account immediately, it helps me to manage my finances better. I am also very fond of in app noises

1 Like

Strangely enough, this post relates to fraud on my account. Here’s how:

Notice fraudulent payment>Click on the transaction>select ‘something wrong? Get help’>The only button to click is ‘How Payments Work’> Comes to this article. Why don’t you make a graphic about what I’m supposed to do when fraud happens because this is RIDICULOUS…I guess I’ll just call customer serv…oh.

That’s odd. If I do the same, I get this:

Make sure it’s not a pending transaction

Non pending:

What’s “RIDICULOUS” is you didn’t show us a screenshot

1 Like

A screenshot of what? The fraudulent transaction? I’d keep that between me and monzo. The UI? They have access to that too, as would you. I spelled out each step with chevrons ‘>’. Is it so crazy to want a button to report fraud and stop a payment as with other banks? Think about it.

Is it a pending transaction? because the button is there to block your card when the fraud is reported, if the button is not there make sure you’re on the latest app version. that’s all I’m saying there is a fraud flow to follow

I have proven it is there in my screenshots

Look at my screenshot - there is a report fraud and block card button right there.

1 Like

Here’s your ‘proof’. I didn’t realise it was an investigation Officer. This is a joint account. Click on the pending transaction for hundreds of pounds and it takes you here. Press ‘Get in touch’ and it jumps to this article which makes no sense. This has to be a bug. Monzo can’t have intended the redirect to that article. I froze my card, but i couldn’t speak to anyone in the moment, and if there is a report fraud button, it needs to be included on joint account holders as well.

1 Like

Is that bit you blurred out the name of the other holder of the joint account?

If so, then the issue will very probably be that it is not your transaction, so you will need to get the other person to go to this page, and dispute the transaction, as only they can confirm that they were not the person who did it.

And we can now see that, since there’s a screenshot, which includes not only the bits that you thought were pertinent, but also lots of other peripheral information that allows other people to better be able to help you :slight_smile:

3 Likes

OK, I’m done with the attitude so I’m out. I genuinely hope you get it sorted.

1 Like

It’s not a bug.

That won’t do anything, the transaction isn’t on your card. You can’t report fraud for someone else, that would cause all kinds of chaos.

Just to clarify.

If the transaction you wish to escalate was made on the joint parity’s card then they’d need to escalate it through the app to confirm that they don’t recognise it as it was against their card.

Hope this helps @Harris340.

1 Like

Bingo, he was so defensive while not giving us the facts…. It tells him that it’s not his transaction, check with the other card holder

My partner did not know anything about the transaction. It was carried out on her card. However, it’s a joint account, so it’s my money too. My feedback is that as a customer, not being able to report fraud on your joint account is a big issue. She’s away and I couldn’t get a hold of her when it happened. I had to contact her sister to get her to look at her phone. In a fraud situation, time is a factor. It’s harder to do anything about it once the vendor is paid.
PS - Andrew - It wasn’t defensiveness, it’s the fact that I’m only writing the comment here to provide UX feedback, and I didn’t appreciate your snark. I’m not here to prove that it happened.

1 Like

So you could easily have reported fraud that wasn’t fraud. That’s why you can’t report for someone else.

2 Likes

If that answer is the best that Monzo can do to reporting possible fraud on a joint account - (joint, not just her account), when other banks allow either account holder to report suspicious activity, then I’m definitely out.

1 Like

Two banks I’ve worked at allow the joint holder to raise a fraud claim, can’t do disputes or other bits, but for fraud it can be logged either side.

Unsure with monzo though.

1 Like