Help us explain to the USA - Why Monzo?

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: Simple Questions Thread (Newbie friendly :slightly_smiling_face:)

It’s everything you could ever want in banking & more!

1 Like

Let me flip this one. A LOT of Americans I know DON’T use Debit Cards! Credit Cards are still a huge deal. How do you explain the benefits of Debit Cards to Credit Card only users? I tried explaining Monzo to some US family members, and the fact it wasn’t a Credit Card made it a non-starter.

2 Likes

Camera shows someone seeing random charges for overdrawn payments*

camera pans to the bank managers office, as the door comes into view it slams shut

Seeing DD’s going out early without warning? Tired of your bank not listening?

With Monzo we’ll show you pending DD’s and alert you so you don’t have to go overdrawn.

Monzo, we listen! :sunglasses:

How can you attract someone to Monzo that never uses Debit Cards? That’s the problem I’ve had trying to get my US family to understand!

1 Like

Direct Debits do not exist in the US banking system.

So the issue with this is twofold.

My US bank already has free charges abroad and it will refund Unlimited ATM fees both domestic and abroad. Why should I use Monzo if these features are not there or are limited?

Also as all my charges are on credit cards like many Americans, the budgeting would be useless.

Splitting bills will be difficult if none of my friends are also on Monzo as there is no faster payments in the US. Cash App has
gone around this by doing returns onto debit cards to instantly transfer cash

Monzo doesn’t use Faster Payments for transfers between other Monzo users. And if you wouldn’t use Monzo for spending then I don’t know why you’d use a US account at all right now. I would use it instead of a credit card because of the budgeting functionality, among other things. They’re only just starting to develop their offering, it will become even more competitive.

I chose Monzo for the Instant Balance notifications - knowing exactly how much you’ve got helps you plan accurately!

1 Like

People use credit cards because of the benefits in the US.

• 5% or more cashback
  • free insurance
  • extended returns
  • the list goes on.

I have had items worth $700 replaced free using my credit card benefits

2 Likes

This is a pretty standard feature already in the US

So if none of my mates use Monzo how would I use bill split?

Every aspect of Payments with Friends - Bill Splitting, Shared Tabs, Monzo.me

And the little things, like seeing upcoming outgoings in the app, pot images, round ups, real-time balance etc.

1 Like

Along with all of the fantastic features such as joint accounts, savings pots, instant balance updates and a hot coral card, it makes saving fun!

And that can’t be bad :moneybag:

1 Like

That a difficult talk as Americans and British citizens are very different. Myself being someone that has lived in both countries and sees both sides of the pond it’s going to be a difficult task to persuade someone to use a new system no one has heard of. I trust you guys with my money already and think you are a great bank.

The phrase I would use for this would be “instant notifications”, “more secure” and I big one is “no fees”. Banking in America is all about trying to get fees out of the consumer.

A huge hurdle you will have to overcome is allowing the instant upload of checks - if you can’t do that from day one. Game over.

2 Likes

Before monzo I only ever spent money via cash.

The main reason for this was because I was able to keep a better tab on my money this way, as my traditional bank balance would always take a few days to update after any card transactions.
So I would withdraw around £100 cash, deduct it from my balance in my head, and then try to remember what I spent that £100 over the course of X amount of days before starting over again.
This obviously never had consistent results.

Then here comes monzo. The balance in my account updates instantly so now all transactions can be made with my bank card and there is no mental gymnastics required.
I can track my real time balance as well as track my spending in specific categories and adjust my habits where necessary.
I also don’t have to carry around large amounts of cash and if I lose my card I can instantly freeze it; and then defrost again it when I find it under the sofa.

Then they gave me pots where I can set small amounts aside each month for larger annual commitments like insurance premiums or in preparation for my cousin’s wedding abroad in a few years.

Where once I would dread seeing my balance hit zero at the end of the month, now I smile knowing that I have honed my spending habits and perfected my budgets and savings plans.

In a nut shell Monzo have given me peace of mind.

I have a clear view of my money and spending, along with the ability to better plan ahead. All of this is then wrapped up in fantastic customer service and a great community forum where new ideas and approaches are discussed between customers and staff.

Thanks Monzo.

8 Likes

Monzo, no checks no fee, tons of fun and it’s your true ewallet

This isn’t exactly true, or a selling point even if it was.

Monzo has to complete KYC, the same as every other bank or financial service.

might mean cheques

Sorry American spelling of “cheques” not “check” as security check but cheques as that slip of paper people used to send money to friends and family

2 Likes