Google Pixel Fold

My friend has had the fold 3 in the past. It was good, but I did dent the screen because I used it with uncut finger nails, still feel bad about it

I just got back from Holland, and on the way through Schiphol Airport I had my first “hands-on” with a folding phone as they had the new Fold 5 on a live display.

Loved the inner screen, but I do think Google have made the right call with a shorter, wider, outside display, as the Fold 5 outer display is far too tall and narrow to be usable for me.

1 Like

MKBHD and his crew are very positive on the Pixel Fold, and especially like the passport front screen, rather than the Fold’s candy bar.

4 Likes

Bit the bullet and ordered the Fold! Should be arriving tomorrow. Also got the £7 damage insurance from EE, just in case.

9 Likes

Let us know how you like/dislike it after using it for a short while - my finger has hovered over that buy button countless times and yet I’ve still not jumped for some reason!

3 Likes

I have always been a fan of the pixel line up and tried both the 6 and 7 briefly but ended up sticking with iPhone but officially bought the fold a few weeks ago and so far love it.

For the first time too when setting up my brother’s iPhone 15 for him felt no urge to go back and was actually glad to own the pixel fold.

The inside screen is plastic but hardly notice it to much at night when multitasking and watching YouTube. As for main display it feels like a normal phone screen with a decent screen size which means there is no reason to open it most of the time (unless in bed and wanna lie down resting it) and the fingerprint on the power button is perfect and reliable.

So definitely worth it but I did get it for a reduced price of £1200 I wouldn’t say possibly worth £1800 but it’s pretty standard for phones to cost the earth.
:slight_smile:

Also in regards to battery as people have concerns at first it’s bad but it adapts and gets better in time and can last a day depending on usage. Hope this helps :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I bought a cheap but new Fold4 a few weeks ago not knowing if I’d be into a folding phone so didn’t want to pay £1,750 for the Pixel Fold.

Love it, should have got the Pixel Fold. :joy:

4 Likes

I keep getting tempted to go back to Pixel, I loved mine but switched to a galaxy for separate ringer and notification volumes.

If that ever comes to Pixel I’d be back in a heartbeat.

1 Like

Anything you call tell us, Simon? Good news I hope!

1 Like

I don’t have a source but I’m sure that’s in Android 14. So welcome back.

2 Likes

:point_up: Yeah apparently - it’s happening

its-happening-ron-paul

But no-one knows for sure until the release of 14 is available (it’s been delayed once or twice, hopefully :soon: - like next week?)

I usually jump all over Developer Previews and Beta’s, but because of increased use of important day-to-day apps, I’ve held off this year until Release.

2 Likes

Now only if iOS did the same… lol

Also, I want notification sounds to stay on the phone when I’m listening to something on a bluetooth speaker!

2 Likes

Is there a general Pixel thread I can’t find? Event is tomorrow and probably going to pick up an 8 Pro.

1 Like

What are you using currently? I can’t remember!

Samsung Galaxy Z Fold4, bought on a whim a few weeks ago, not sure folding phones are for me long term but I do like it.

Love me a Pixel though.

How do those of you who have a foldyfone (of any brand) carry them?

I’m currently on an S22-Ultra which goes in front pocket of jeans, but something significantly thicker that it would… bulge in places where I don’t really want to show a visible bulge.

I’m seriously tempted by one of the current gen folds as my next phone, but I’m not sure if I’ll just end up regretting it every time I slip it into a pocket.

Just in my pocket like a normal phone. It’s not even they much thicker.

1 Like

If my :watch: could just pair with my iPad, I’d be far more tempted to switch back to a Pixel.

Eagerly awaiting the amazing offers that  users can only dream of.

Yes! Thread to come :soon:

2 weeks into the Pixel Fold and I’m thoroughly enjoying it. Having said that, I don’t think this phone is for everyone.

The primary downside is that using it closed is somewhat of a compromise compared to a large flagship mainline phone. It’s heavy, the frontscreen is 1080p, and you’re losing some vertical space on the Pixel Fold, or horizontal space on the Samsungs. The Fold is preferable for me in this regard - losing vertical space is less annoying than horizontal for me.

Of course, that is the drawback that you must deal with in order to get the benefit of what you get when you unfold it. And that part is amazing - the real estate, the excellent UI changes in Android to account for tablets and foldables, and the split screen capability - this really clicked for me when I had a shopping list open in Whatsapp that my partner had sent on one side, and the Amazon Prime Groceries screen on the other side. No more switching back and forth! Google’s native apps are almost all optimised for the Fold now - Gmail, Calendar and YouTube in particular are absolutely joyous experiences.

For future models, they absolutely have to address the weight issue. And although in the Android 14 beta you can now force a full screen ratio for a lot of apps, more third party support is needed for intentional design on larger screens.

Overall, I’ve always been an early adopter happy to deal with drawbacks for the sake of trying something new. And as a duel-wielder, I can still pull out my iPhone 14 Pro Max if I want to be holding something lighter for a while. If any of you watch MrMobile (Michael Fisher) on YouTube, I tend to be pretty aligned with the way he feels on foldables and wanting to be somewhat of an early adopter on them.

There was a lot of talk when the Pixel Fold first dropped about the larger bezels compared to the Samsungs - I can honestly say I don’t notice that at all.

4 Likes

Great update.

I’ve been in-between Pixel Fold and Pixel 8 Pro, and while the real-life experience of the Fold (plus my similar early adopter mentality) puts the Fold in a good light, I’m still swinging over to the Px8Pro.

My usage is key - quick tasks on phone & more involved tasks on laptop/desk set-up. So notifications, IM’s, music playback while out, payments, control of car, etc. don’t need the extra screen real estate. It’s a toughie because I love the PxFold design, but I think I’ll go with the Px8Pro.

4 Likes