General Fintech & Banking Articles Megathread

Pretty sure I saw someone here mention that everyone is getting in on the BNPL action and it seems they are right.

1 Like

Kudos to Atom for this:

Edit: should’ve read more before posting fml. It’s technically a 34 hour week over 4 days, which is fewer hours than most people do over 5 I imagine, but it does say they’ll be working more hours per day than on 5, so sounds more like a compressed thing than a true four day week.

4 Likes

It’s an extra hour a day, in theory, so not the end of the world. I’d happily take that approach to get an extra day off.

4 Likes
1 Like

That really makes a lot of sense, it makes you wonder why more companies haven’t tried it before.

You would presumably barely notice the extra hour on days you work, but then would really appreciate a whole “extra day” per week off.

Since it adds up to a fairly similar number of total weekly working hours (OK, slightly less, but not by much) the work can still get done.

Atom seem to have really struck upon a great idea with this.

2 Likes

I did compressed days 10 years ago on a contract role as I was living away from home and it meant an extra day with my wife every two weeks. An extra hour Mon-Thu on week one, Mon-Wed on week 2 and the Friday off. Did that for 8 months after working standard weeks for the first four months.

Only an hour extra on the long days, but it certainly was noticeable - and I was 10 years younger than I am now.

Edit: I’m not saying that it’s a bad thing. Just that there are pros and cons. With home working (or hybrid working) it could work quite well. There are pros and cons - depends how prescriptive they are about when people do the hours, amongst other things.

2 Likes