Frozen account due to large transfer

I transferred £4000 from my old bank account (metro bank), to my monzo account, but now monzo has seen this as fraudulent activity and has frozen my account. No one is responding to my emails or my chat in the app. Has someone had this problem before?

You need to contact Monzo at help@monzo.com.

If Monzo have suspected this to be a fraud transaction they do have the power to freeze the account, however there isn’t a lot that us on the forums can do i’m afraid.

All I can suggest is to hang on until someone gets back to you on the chat, email help@monzo.com or trying to call the number on the back of your card.

Hope you get sorted.

What everyone has said above is accurate.

I also doubt that the transfer you mentioned will be the sole reason too. Let’s not speculate though, you’ll unfortunately just have to be patient while Monzo investigate :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

I’ve sent multiple emails to that address, and I have called them, but no one has been answering

Is there a way for me to prove that it’s my account? the transfer literally comes with all my details from my old account and I can even provide a statement

It takes a while for them to respond via email, even more so because in app chat support is under high demand recently too.

There is nothing that anyone on here can do to help so unfortunately you’re just going to have to wait and keep trying their number periodically :slightly_frowning_face:

this is such an inconvenience, it’s basically all my money. If I had known that large transfers are instantly flagged for fraudulent activity, I wouldn’t have made a Monzo account. :angry:

1 Like

They are not instantly flagged. That is nonsense. There are a tonne of factors that go into detecting fraud and they have a legal duty to freeze your account while they investigate. They will be in contact and if there is nothing wrong they will unfreeze your account. Be patient. There is nothing they can do to speed this up. Open a in-app chat and wait until they can tell you something more (They are not legally allowed to discuss it until they have finished the investigation)

5 Likes

As others have said above and other threads on this forum may suggest - it is unlikely that the sole reason for this is the large transfer - unless were are talking millions :rofl::rofl:

It is likely to be a number of things that have tripped the account and therefore you are experiencing what you are now.

Unfortunately we on the forum can’t do much to help - as frustrating as it must be for you hopefully it gets sorted .

1 Like

At this point Monzo will likely be waiting for the National Crime Agency to get back to them to confirm that they don’t want to investigate your account further, at which point it’ll be unlocked. This unfortunately can take up to 7 days.

I do feel sympathy for innocent people who have their account frozen. I know it would have a major impact on me and I’m sure the vast majority of community members would be seriously affected if they lost access to all of their money.

I understand that the rules mean banks can’t discuss suspected fraud with customers but surely there could be a better system in place so those people who do have their accounts frozen aren’t left in limbo? It must be awful not being able to access your money and having no-one respond to you.

6 Likes

Just don’t put all your eggs in one basket, I suppose.
Revolut locked my account for four days recently.
You always need a contingency plan, whatever account you’re using.

1 Like

I agree it isn’t good for those who are innocent and something (arguably silly) has caused a flag to be tripped - the only real solution, without forgoing any sense of having security is to maybe only siphon off the money that has tripped the signal - however in this example, the person transferred a large amount and therefore you are still without a large proportion of your funds - it is a hard aspect to see any tangible benefits changing the system would do.

I guess I just have to be patient and hope for the best :confused:

I would try calling again. They should be answering the phone.

1 Like

I have transferred some fairly large amounts both into and out of Monzo (money in from old bank, later out to Marcus, and later still back to Monzo for Cash ISA) so it is not simply a case of the amounts

Obviously a total annoyance if there is nothing untoward, but Monzo get no benefit of the doubt or leeway on imposing checks so I would not surprised if they tip towards the more cautious approach

If I transferred a large sum of money for, say, a car purchase and my account ended up being frozen with no way of contacting anyone at Monzo, I’d be on the next train down to London and banging on their door!

Not getting any sort of response must be very worrying for those innocently caught in the system.

2 Likes

The OP only stated that they’ve not responded to his email. There are no details surrounding the freezing of his account, what communication has happened so far or notifications in app etc.

This is why these topics always get locked because people start speculating so much that it goes widely off topic and it doesn’t help anyone.

I too sympathise with anyone in this situation regardless but there is a procedure that needs to be followed by all parties involved. One of those is that here isn’t the place for this discussion because it’s too sensitive and nobody has the ability to do anything about it.

2 Likes

The thing is I’m not sure a large transfer in and of itself is enough to warrant a report and if it did, as we have seen from other threads - telling Monzo they should expect a large transaction is the best way forward.

Worrying for sure, and I so sympathise, but at the same time “dems the rules” - especially for those COps as they could be criminally charged for telling the customer anything.