Freezing a card as a regular activity

I can see a couple of potential issues with this -

• Merchants like Amazon don’t take the payment when you place an order, they only charge your card when they ship the order. The charge is made before you receive an email notification so you wouldn’t be able to unfreeze the card before the transaction’s blocked.

• If you manage to make an offline transaction I don’t think (I’m not 100% sure) that when the merchant’s terminal goes online to take the payment, the payment will be authorised if your card is frozen. Again, the date / time when that payment will be requested is unpredictable.

• If another Monzo user wants to make a P2P payment to you or a friend wants to pay you using Monzo.me, they wouldn’t be able to while your card was frozen.

Could you share what is is you’re trying to achieve by having your card frozen when not transacting?

Some other potential features to give users greater control over which merchants can take payments & when were discussed in this topic -

would any of these features solve the problem that you’re trying to address instead?

1 Like