Foreign Exchange Rate and Balance When In Other Countries

+1 for showing EU balance when in European countries, super useful!

2 Likes

To have the exchange rate in the app to see what it cost at the time of buying
Is that possible?

1 Like

Hi as you get the rate when the transaction settles, this may be slightly misleading and possibly the reason it has been omitted

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Current Account in other currencies

When you make a purchase abroad, the amount & total spent today is displayed in the local currency & GBP, is that what you were thinking of?

You’re right that, that is a consideration -

No I want to see rate before I spend not after

Thanks, I see what you’re looking for now. I’ve moved your post here, as Hugo’s commented on the idea earlier in the topic.

Since this was proposed a while ago, it looks like Monzo decided that displaying the conversion rate in the ‘Welcome to x’ notification was the best approach. But maybe they’re planning to develop this further in the future…

I would love to see the card limits in local currency when abroad. Occasionally I’ve found myself wanting to withdraw my full £250 daily limit, but working that out in local currency can be a pain.

4 Likes

It could be an idea to have your balance shown in the local currency when you know it’s abroard.

Example, I’m currently in a taxi and I need to know if I have enough on the card or need to top up.

I understand this changes constantly but an average or expected amount could be calculated.

3 Likes

100% behind this. Even just having the option to view it somewhere in the app would be great. Super keen to be able to hold different currencies rather than have to always work at the exchange rate.

2 Likes

That would be handy :slight_smile: there’s some more details about Monzo’s plans for this here -

1 Like

I don’t think that’s what @jammed had in mind. I understood it more as having currency calculator or simply showing estimated balance in foreign currency.

If Monzo’s balance is £101, show smaller version “that’s about $XXX for ya”. Even if conversion rate is slightly outdated, it would help me “see” how much money I have. I initially suggested calculator thing, but @jammed’s idea is probably more useful for daily use.

4 Likes

I use monzo when i’m abroad and instead of having to google the exchange rate each time it would be helpful to have it in the app by swiping the balance to see how much we have in different currencies.

3 Likes

This would be great!

I have been travelling and trying to work out my balance in local currency is a pain. If I could change to see my balance in local currency I could see more
Clearly how much I have and what I can spend.

1 Like

I’ve moved your post here, as it follows on nicely from some of the ideas that users have shared in this topic. I hope that’s ok :slight_smile:

It’d be great to hear your thoughts!

For me knowing an exchange rate is irrelevant, what I would need to know is my approximate available balance in the local currency

This would be great. I personally would like to see an estimate of how much my balance is worth in local currency when travelling. I think a visual along these lines would work well although I don’t need to see how much I’ve spent in local currency.

2 Likes

+1… I’m travelling with my Monzo card for the first time and I can see how being able to see the account balance estimated in the local currency based on the current MasterCard rate would be useful. I’d love to see this in a future update of the app.

1 Like