Feedback on testing energy partnerships

If you just dismissed the feed item from your feed (without tapping into the feed item first), then you won’t have seen it.

1 Like

When I tapped on it I was delivered directly to Bulb page which said something like Monzo is giving you £25

I am with Bulb already so this was but curious because if I recommend someone they get £50 and I think same for me for the recommendation. Monzo seems to be getting a bad deal from Bulb.

1 Like

They’ve explained how the referral fee is being split here -

I am not sure how they are only getting £50 from bulb when Bulb seems to be offering £50 for referring and another £50 to whoever signed up. Like I said Monzo seem to be getting bit of a bad deal from Bulb

1 Like

There are people at Bulb Community actively sharing referral links to earn and give £50 (again just to clarify £50 for whoever will sign up and £50 for whoever referred that’s £100 in total unlike Monzo’s £25 each)

bulb

1 Like

Interesting point.

I expect Monzo will continue using this model of collecting some of their partner’s referral incentives, which may sometimes mean that the user receives a smaller incentive, in the future - assuming that this test & others work. We also know that they’ll be transparent about the incentive (the £25 in this instance), that they’re receiving for promoting their partner.

So lets assume that Monzo’s testing whether or not losing £25 of the incentive puts you off signing up through them. If they’d told you that they’re collecting £75 (the £25 you’re giving up + the £50 that Bulb gives referrers) & you’re collecting £25, how would you have felt about that?

It’s not about how I feel mate, of course, I expect Monzo to make money if people switch via Monzo app/referral but I don’t expect Monzo to offer a bad deal compared to the one which I can send you right now (via my own referral link) or anyone with Bulb can send.

2 Likes

“No, never ask me again” is the dismiss forever

sorry, late to this party

2 Likes

Have to say that I agree with @alisufyan on this. Monzo dropped the ball with this offer. Monzo should be getting £50 from Bulb for referring, and the switching customer should also get £50 from Bulb. That’s the current deal with Bulb, not sure why Monzo settled for anything less :thinking:

3 Likes

I know there’s talk of an opt out, the screens I’ve seen seem to only have a button to opt out of similar offers. (I had this ad in my feed the other day but didn’t click it because I didn’t want to encourage it, so don’t know what follows on if you do click it).

But I really hope there’ll be an option to opt out of ALL in feed offers.

What follows are the two screenshots (in reverse order) in Alex’s post above:

From @philhewinson Head of Partnerships:

2 Likes

For the record, I’ve just double checked with the team & as long as there’s no bugs, Android users should see the option to opt out (see the above screenshots) when they tap into the feed item in the preview app :+1:

That’s good - thanks for checking.

I would think it would make more sense to be able to opt out directly from the feed, as people who want to totally opt out of ads would probably be the least likely to tap into them. Still, glad the option is there somewhere :slight_smile:

It should really hands down beat the offers that your mate Dave can offer you, like you get £75 and Monzo gets £25.

I’d have been impressed with a £60/£40 split in my favour, showing that Monzo could get me a better deal with Bulb than I could anywhere else. We all love a bargain.

Its clear that Monzo is just testing the reaction to such offers and don’t expect to start building their fortune based on these tests, however I need to know that I’m going to be offered the best possible deal if I’m going to take up one of these offers.

Monzo has been transparent regarding this offer:

The question really is why?

All I can think is: I’m gonna get 25 quid and much cheaper energy for taking up the offer through the app. Which was no effort at all.

Without Monzo I’d have gone on without knowing Bulb existed, paying over the odds and noone coming up to me with a fifty quid Bulb offer :slight_smile:

1 Like

Because they tested it with such a small set of customers they didn’t have a leg to stand on when it came to negotiating a better offer. What was in it for Bulb?

1 Like

Many people have already posted their referral links in this community; me included :joy:

The thing is that as a Bulb customer I can offer a better deal than Monzo, with a much smaller audience. I didn’t negotiate anything… simply as an existing customer my referral is worth £50 to both parties.

Ah, but you’re only costing Bulb £50. That’s not any worse for Bulb than Monzo’s deal, which also cost £50 per customer.

If they’d wanted to match what the user got with the referral scheme (£50) and get equal commission they’d have needed to ask Bulb to give away £100 per customer.

Edit: see below, Bulb pay out £100 at present for customer->customer referrals.