Emma Feedback Thread / Q&A

Great to hear Pro is working out well!

I think fintech in general is too scared to say “look, this is how much it’s going to cost, unless we sell your data”.

bunq is a rare example and seems to be doing very well.

I’d love to see Monzo just charge a monthly fee and stop trying to sell loans - and just give up on pointless subscription packages.

I think it may take longer, but ultimately an app that can be sustainable without selling its customers’ data is much more valuable.

(Andy) #1341

My point is that Yolt offer all features to all users.

They make money by linking in with other fintechs who try to offer useful services like Moneytis, Anorak, Homelyfe.

In my view that is ultimately a more successful approach than ‘gaming’ the referral systems or spamming forums with links or charging customers for basic features.

(Edoardo Moreni) #1342

Hey Andy, well if you stop using products because you don’t agree on the business model, that’s a completely different conversation. :slight_smile:

I guess only time will tell who’s right. eheh

Not sure if this was intended as a reply to me or a continuation of your earlier posts.

But when I say established/traditional providers I mean places like NS&I, Sainsbury’s Bank, M&S Bank, and various building societies other than Nationwide. It is here that I think Emma is most limited compared to other account aggregators (in particular MoneyHub and Money Dashboard, and to a lesser extent Yolt).

I’m not really sure how these other aggregators compare to Emma when it comes to support for newer ‘fintech’ providers. It wouldn’t surprise me if Emma is as good as or better than others in this area, but once Monzo and Starling are covered no one seems to standout on this.

(Edoardo Moreni) #1344

They both use Yodlee, that’s why they have similar connections available. :slight_smile:

(Edoardo Moreni) #1345

Hey guys, we have built a quick tool to reach out to all these fintechs inside the app. Have a play. :slight_smile:

(Grant MacGregor) #1346

Looks great!

Would it be possible to make the same feature but with other banks - could base it off the suggested banks from the Reddit thread?

(Edoardo Moreni) #1347

Yeah, but most of the time it doesn’t really depend on the bank. We want to start with Investments, cause it’s separate from the rest of integrations, so people do not get confused. We are adding HL now.

It would be good to have an icon or something to show which providers are available. I can see new users being confused by this.

Great idea though. Solid evidence for them of the level of interest

(Edoardo Moreni) #1349

Thanks, we are starting with Investments, so shouldn’t be too confusing; but let’s see how it goes. :slight_smile:

(Jay Yoms) #1350

Almost just signed up till I saw the name Facebook lol.

Sorry, but their incentives are so bad at this stage

(Kevyn) #1351

@edo1493 Is there a reason that the Co-op Bank is available in Emma but Smile.co.uk (a clone bank owned by the Co-op Bank) isn’t?

(Edoardo Moreni) #1352

They have different authentication flows. :frowning_face:

How about Starling Euro accounts? Are they not available through the API yet?
You might even be able to pull the Starling exchange rate to show the balance in GBP (don’t know why starling don’t do this…)

(Grant MacGregor) #1354

They supposedly use a separate API stream that Emma have no access to.

(Edoardo Moreni) #1355

They said it would work, but we are not getting anything apparently. :frowning:

Any progress with Nutmeg intergration into Emma? @edo1493

(Grant MacGregor) #1357

Cheers, didn’t know about this

Although I’ve never really enjoyed using reddit

Doesn’t seem to be anything about Nutmeg unless I missed it?

Last I heard was a Tweet between Emma & Nutmeg about ‘talking’

(Edoardo Moreni) #1359

They said they would have had something by now, but they don’t.

We are adding Chip this month (if they hurry up).