Driving Lessons

You’re going to set everyone off ranting :rofl:

The above and people who think that if they put their hazards on they can stop and/or park anywhere they like.

1 Like

That magic stick that flicks up and down, you know, the one that activates the clever system which visually informs other drivers/pedestrians that you are planning to change direction before you do.

USE IT!!!

Aaannndddd the party that introduces this just lost the next general election.

While it is a really nice idea, in practice I don’t see how you get it going. People are out there today driving right now 12+ points on their license, because they (invariably) claim that driving is required for their livelihood when the courts order a driving ban.

If you can’t take someone’s license for speeding / driving dangerously / killing someone with a car, how well is an attempt to remove someone’s license because they hit the curb on their 3-point turn going to go? How many goes at the test should someone get before they are forced to leave their driving job / move out of their country mansion with no public transport within 10 miles?

If it was simple, it would be done already. Maybe offer big insurance discounts for people who take regular re-tests? Limit the type/class of vehicle you can drive after X years without re-testing?

2 Likes

Hey, everyone, I think we have ourselves a Saturday morning-style topic :smile::joy:

Remember them?

1 Like

BMWs don’t have this magical directional stick and lights though

2 Likes

Regrettably, it seems, they were only fitted to early models of the Merc and BMW sportier models.

That’s the only explanation I’ve got for South Birmingham, anyway. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

Wow…

Beat me to it.

1 Like

9 lessons (of which 5 were 2 hours). Passed first time.
This was in 1997 though.

1 Like

52 lessons (104 hours) and 5 attempts at the practical test (passed the theory first time though - I found that part easy). I was a very nervous learner, not helped by a Co-op HGV rear ending me during my 2nd driving lesson whilst I was stationary at a red light.

This was 2015. All in, about £3,500 total cost to pass. Thought about giving up several times! Really glad I stuck with it. Very confident driver now.

7 Likes

Whilst I cannot find a relevant post I want to quote I notice that a few comments have related to re-testing and ongoing learning.

I have in reality done this. about 10 years after passing my test I learnt to ride a motorbike. Direct Access to ride a 600cc in my late 20s. Crazy idea in hindsight, but the one thing I noticed (and still do) is that as a result of being instructed I learnt more skills I did not already have, and am still aware my observation skills and ability to pre-empt other road users actions are much better than some.

I am not the best driver in the world. I am honest enough to know that.

I think there should be some form of continuing education for drivers, and reminder that driving is a privilege which we should have to earn rather than a right. This is really because things change so much:

• When I learnt to drive you had to use a choke to start the car (petrol engine)
  • When I learnt to drive not all cars had ABS
  • It is now standard for most cars to have reversing cameras, automatic braking, lane assist/alert and many other features

Remaining safe whilst driving with the potential distractoins of satnav and other “driver assist” features is a skill which not everyone has intuitively.

6 Likes

Totally agree with you.

1 Like

I had to do a driver awareness course, probably about 15 years ago now. Basically a day with me and another guy taking it turns driving while an ex-police instructor gave pointers.

I agree with the above that it was a good experience, not about catching me out for not checking my mirrors every 7 seconds, but little nudges to make me a better driver.

For me it’s about any changes that come about in road signs etc. Too many people don’t know what some road signs mean. Similar for newer road layouts etc. Also a general it’s too easy to keep your license if you’re a bad driver (e.g. many points on your license etc).

On the original topic, I had about 15 or 20 lessons and passed second time. I failed the first time due to following the speed of the vehicles in front who were going up to the 40 mph before the 40 mph speed limit started whilst still in the 30mph speed limit. I haven’t driven a car since (and that was something like 15 years ago) as it was too expensive to get insured at the time, and living in a big city didn’t really see the need with good bus and cycle connections. I now really have no interest in owning a car, and have a cargo bike instead. I generally find public transport easier for getting around. If a place doesn’t have good public transport or cycle connections, it isn’t worth going to.

Great if you can make that choice where I live a car is required no choice not optional

1 Like

I think it’s actually that people’s opinions, not skills, improve with age/experience.

People develop poor habits when driving. They don’t realise it.

I’d encourage everyone to seek out further Driver training. There used to be PassPlus for newly qualified drivers. Is that still a thing?

Also try Institute of Advanced Motorists and RoSPA. I’ve courses with both of these organisations and they are positive training for existing drivers.

M42 has been a smart motorway since 2006. It’s where they piloted the idea.

1 Like

Can you give some rationale to this comment please. I don’t understand the point being made?

I embarked on this course a few years back. Although I didn’t complete, one of the most effective tips I picked up was that around looking further ahead and planning accordingly.

One exercise was to narrate to your passenger (instructor) what you see as potential hazards ahead and around you. Keeps you sharp.

That, in turn, makes driving smoother and that sense of anticipating road issues has really made my driving enjoyable. There are still idiots on the road - seeing them earlier is the key.

1 Like

Fair enough. Fifteen years, then, though I guess there are plenty of motorists who have yet to experience the thrill of a smart motorway.

Well the M42 has been closed both ways this weekend. Smart, it may be - open it’s not :joy:

Seriously though, the smart element has made a heck of a difference to the congestion which became a feature,

1 Like