Driving Lessons

I passed first time in 1987. I spent a fortune on lessons (£7 ph them days) driving for hours at a time…I wanted to pass, so I put the commitment in. Even though I slowed the car down with my handbrake on test😳 he still passed me!

Practice, practice

1 Like

15 or so lessons and then a first time pass. I then went on to do Pass+ (is that still a thing?) to get some good motorway experience.

1 Like

This is like one of those “Tell us how old you are without saying your age” things :rofl:

1 Like

Passed first time. My instructor was very strict but got the job done

It cost a few hundred pound but cannot remember as it was years ago

1 Like

Just wow at them cheap prices although I suppose back then it was still classed as expensive compared to the wages of the day

Fear not, my brother-in-law (it turns out) understood his left foot to be used for braking in his automatic learner car…:flushed:

Try it some time …:scream:

2 Likes

I think I had around 30 hours, but I had no access to any other vehicles to practice in.
I decided to pay a little extra and learn with The AA, in the hope that lesson quality would be better and I’d pass faster.

Anyway fast forward to the test and my driving instructor’s son is sick all over the passenger seat on the morning of my test. The car smells bad and the examiner has to sit on a moist towel. I passed first time with one minor fault.

This was all almost a decade ago now and I have to say, looking back I’m a much much better driver now than I was when I passed. Experience is everything when it comes to the roads.

2 Likes

Probably didn’t need them, but I bet you got a few guilt-ridden brownie points from the instructor :smile:

I did it when I’d borrowed someones automatic.

Rolling to a stop at a junction, go to dip the clutch and nearly went through the windscreen.

I think it’s something you only do once!

1 Like

In my case because it put me off ever even try to drive an automatic again :sweat:

1 Like

I’ve driven them since but I always make sure to tuck my left leg out the way now!

1 Like

@Revels - let’s just say it was pre-decimalisation.

@DaveJ - yup it was a lot for a teenager to find.

R-

2 Likes

I got used to being able to left foot brake from all the playstation gaming with a wheel and pedals I do.

I am 39 years old.

2 Likes

Add 30. R-

Passed first time after one lesson :no_mouth:

After seven months of driving everywhere with Mum teaching.

Test was in Bristol in 1993, and if you’ve ever been to Bristol, you’ll know every other junction is a hill start.

Taught my ex-partner to drive in my car and he passed first time with no minors in 2016.

Controversial this, but I think every driver should be re-tested every ten years, with immediate suspension of the licence after a fail. It’s quite ludicrous that after proving you can do something at 17, you’re able to continue doing it unchecked for over 50 years.

4 Likes

I use my left foot for braking in an automatic. (You can train yourself to do it with finesse).

Recommended for manoeuvring as it avoids sudden acceleration syndrome.

I agree that periodic retests should be mandatory.

1 Like

I don’t agree with that. Unless you’re not driving regularly in which case I could see an argument for it.

In my opinion, driving skills get better with time/age, up to a point.

Maybe some sort of retest when you hit 70?

Edit: just read that there is a test when you hit 70 :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:. When did that happen?!

No test but you do have to renew your licence within 90 days and then every three years. R-

1 Like

I had plenty of lessons with my dad, then about 5 I think with an instructor.

Failed first time because apparently I didn’t look over my shoulder properly when moving across lanes.

Passed second time. Had a rather large chap sat in the back who was examining the examiner. The 1 litre Fiesta I was in couldn’t get over 50 on the duel carriageway and I was worried I’d get a fail for going too slow, but they must have taken into account the extra weight and it was all good!