Does Monzo support the fossil fuel industry?

I wonder what your stance is on using Facebook when they have invested in a conglomerate in India that includes oil refinery?

Facebook-Reliance Jiro

You could argue that Reliance is a separate company but they are very close bed fellows.

What I think is interesting here is that this is a good example of Monzo’s platform approach giving power to the customer. It’s less a question about Monzo (which is a neutral intermediary here) and more about Investec.

In the future, it’d be interesting to have a way to compare values-based criteria in the app, so users could select interest bearing pots that met certain criteria.

5 Likes

The most bizarre way to save money I ever read, being that it doesn’t actually save any money.

I’ve recently changed to London Power, which is 100% renewable (backed by Octopus) and was cheaper on all four metrics (gas and electricty unit prices, and daily standing charges for both fuels) than any other supplier, including Octopus.

1 Like

I just wonder - how is it gas could be renewable? Do they produce it from corn or trash?

When someone describes an energy company as 100% renewable I take that to mean 100% of electricity from renewable sources.

I don’t think many offer 100% green gas. Maybe one or two. I don’t think London Power or Octopus does.

1 Like

Yeah, apologies, having just rechecked it’s only electricity which is renewable :grimacing:

1 Like

Anyway, even if it were renewable, I don’t think we should be concerned about renewability of the fuels regarding the global warming at all. It is not their renewability that matters, but their carbon impact. For example,

Converting rainforests, peatlands, savannas, or grasslands to produce food crop–based biofuels in Brazil, Southeast Asia, and the United States creates a “biofuel carbon debt” by releasing 17 to 420 times more CO2 than the annual greenhouse gas (GHG) reductions that these biofuels would provide by displacing fossil fuels.

https://web.archive.org/web/20080413151143/http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/abstract/1152747

What I mean here is if you can dig out from the earth a fossil that has near to zero carbon footprint and not harmful in any other ways - go for it. Thorium is a good example. (I know, I know, a lot of people who has no clue whatsoever about molten salt reactors safety and footprint would argue now)

Monzo as far as i’m aware is hosted on AWS which is not the best for sucking up electricity generated from coal or natural gas.

I’m not to bothered but I’d like to put this out there for those that are.

I’d say every industry is connected to the oil, gas and mining industries. Technology isn’t possible without them.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.