Do You Have More Than One Bank Account?

If you live in Northern Ireland it’s easy to just cross the border open an account that’s euros and you can have both

Yeah but then you’re stuck with the fees. Monzo will be fine for most uses or Danske Bank have Euro ATMs in their branches which I don’t think count towards the overseas charges

2 Likes

What fees cause if you have a Republic of Ireland bank account permanent tsb explore current account you can avoid monthly fees if you use the visa debit card on transactions in euros and if you get the max number of transactions a month you could gain €1 as you get max of €5 plus a maintanence charge of €4 means you left with €1 but with direct debits or buying on certain retailers offers etc you can gain more money

When I travel over to Ireland I normally pay with my permanent TSB visa debit card and if I went to a eurozone country I’d do the same until I have gained the max number of transactions for max amount of benefit back

Hadn’t seen that account before but good to see they finally have a really good option available :+1:

Don’t get confused with permanent tsb and TSB bank in Great Britain mainland

imageimageimageimageimageimage

1 Like

They’re a good one to choose because they are state owned now after being bailed out in the financial crisis. Although they are getting major bad press today for selling off bad mortgages

1 Like

Once you have euros out of a euro dispensing machine in Northern Ireland how do you expect to pay it back in to your account without loosing on exchange rate change? That’s the question I posed myself and I chosen to have the answer the Irish accounts and only have euros in cash in the smallest amounts so I can easily spend up and have none left over

I don’t, I keep it for next time or just spend it in a local shop, they all take Euro

1 Like

All banks are bad for selling bad mortgages all the major banks in Ireland are doing the same

The UK is the only major country that has free banking completely as long as you don’t end up in overdrafts etc but charge you for sending abroad and Santander charge £1.25 or more for a debit card transaction highest amongst the UK banks and I used to be with them and used that account the first time in Ireland then I asked to open my Irish accounts cause they benefit me more cause you miss paying high amounts and if you wanna have more than £200 a month withdrawal you can actually do it from an Irish account free of charge and can use TransferWise to transfer over either in the monzo app but I do transfers to euros directly in TransferWise app when you select euro balance you select top up from debit card and use monzo to do a €10 transaction you get charged €10.20 which is good as the amount you get is €10 but you pay less than you would if you do gbp to euro as you pay a lot more as they charge a fee and topping up in euros direct to TransferWise account saves you money gives you more euros for less pounds than doing it direct from monzo account in a international transfer

I normally use card payment almost always less hassle and more convient than fumbling for money and I will not use likes of Thomas cook ever again to change money from euros back to pounds so I can pay in to a UK account I loose out in exchange rates

1 Like

TransferWise will send €15 for £14.21 that includes fee for exchanging from pounds to euros in your transfer from monzo or by changing in app to add a euro balance to the TransferWise card.

If you do a euro top up using monzo debit card topping up the TransferWise euro balance directly your €15 will charge your monzo account £13.54 about and the only fee included in a fee for €0.20 for the top up about that so less than straight currency exchange as it’s done through MasterCard rates and you get no added fee except tiny charge for top up which works out at €0.20 every €10 topped up by debit card

Is it true that barclays don’t let you open a basic current account with them if you have another account elsewhere ?

Can’t imagine how they’d know?

1 Like

Yes. Basic accounts are for those who can’t get an account anywhere else

3 Likes

Wow - Never knew that.

That’s not fair really… I’d like to have a barclays account to pay my direct debits with and monzo for spending

They were all forced to offer them by either the regulator or government due to the levels of financial exclusion. They don’t make them any money so they don’t like them

1 Like

Sorry - I knew about basic bank accounts being a requirement - I just didn’t know you were limited to 1.

How would they know?

1 Like