Diversity and Inclusion at Monzo

It’s people like that when they are managers/owners of businesses that wonder why people only spend 6 months in a company and then leave.

I definitely wouldn’t work for someone who said that, just rude and inconsiderate

3 Likes

Yep…left the place after 18 months and spent 10 years at my next place…go figure :wink:

1 Like

That’s not what I said.

Employers don’t exist to serve employees. They exist to serve customers.

There’s a reason people in startups work long hours. It’s a competitive market out there for next-gen banking. Staff in other startups might be working 9-9pm days. If Monzo staff are working 9-3pm days we might find the difference in output becomes obvious to customers. But let’s see. There are arguments both ways.

2 Likes

I agree with you that people in startups can work long hours but the majority of people don’t work for startups and so why would the same rules apply for them and also why wouldn’t that startup want to be accommodating to their employees? (within reason of course)

I know from a personal point of a view if an employer demanded I work 9-5 every day and was inconsiderate to things like childcare(I don’t have children btw), needing to work from home some days, commuting etc then I wouldn’t take the role.
There is a reason why most tech/new companies now offer working from home, flexi time, staggered shift patterns etc and its because the workplace for most people isn’t 9-5 anymore and they do want some flexibility from their role.

Yes I agree there are arguments both ways but do you have any evidence/sources of a company who’s product/difference in output was different/worse/not as effective due to being a flexible employer? I’d love to see that

4 Likes

I can imagine their staff canteen…“Please Sir, can I have some more”

3 Likes

I work 9:30-19:00 most days. I work in the finance industry as a developer. Many other people work these kind of hours in my workplace. I don’t begrudge it because the pay is excellent and I enjoy working with very dedicated people who like to deliver.

If, as an employee, I was only willing to work 9:00-15:00, I would expect my options within fintech to be very limited and rather than getting on my high horse about it and demanding the industry change to accommodate me, I would show a bit of humility and realise that employers do not exist to serve my needs. They exist to serve customers.

2 Likes

I will have a look to see if I can find this data.

In the meantime here’s some food for thought:

2 Likes

That’s fine but it’s not the same in the finance industry for you as it is for me in the science industry as we have just proved, again that’s fine, industries are different.

I haven’t actually seen anyone “demanding” that the/their industry changes, just that the recognise that people do need some flexibility sometimes, so dropping/picking up their children from school which is where the 9-3 example came from (some single parent families can’t afford childminders etc, it’s just an example). Or when you have a doctors appointment, working from home rather than driving 30 minutes to the office and then 30 minutes back again for your appointment, doesn’t seem unreasonable to me. Or when most of your team is working from home, why then can’t you work from home? Or if your in a small team like I am and the other developer is on holiday, why then can’t you work from home or start/leave early?

Well, that’s one way of putting it but most employers I would wager, would rather have happy/well engaged employees by offering them slight flexibility which in turn would more than likely lead to them having a better product rather than every 6 months/1 year having to find new employees. Also, employees aren’t slaves, they do have lives and other things in their lives other than work and sometimes these things are more important than work and require the employer to be flexible which most are now becoming so humility doesn’t really come into it.

None of which stops you from work long hours for your salary if you want to but why should that mean you can stop other people working certain hours or days to fit their circumstances?. Personally I would just never take a job with an inflexible employer, you can see them just from the job advert and I’ve never found my options to be very limited as you say

4 Likes

Your original reply was to someone talking about childcare so it appeared to me that you saw having children as ‘niche’

I’m afraid your argument appears to be ‘I work long hours to get on in my sector so everyone else should too’. This is the kind of culture most industries are desperate to get away from. Part-time, flexible, job share and remote working are all not particularly innovative solutions to people’s everyday needs. You appear to be arguing that those who cannot be in the office all day every weekday, for ‘team morale’ have less to offer an employer. It’s this attitude that enables uncreative companies to overlook those workers who are unable to commit to such a narrow structure of employment, which in turn cycles round to some, like you, thinking work has to be long hours every day in the office.

And I disagree completely with your fundamental argument that employers exist solely to serve customers. In order to be consumers, most of us need to be employees as well and the desire to come to work ultimately fuels our economy.

10 Likes

That’s not my argument.

People that work a three day week whilst everyone else around them works a five day week, yes - by definition, 3-day-weekers offer less to their employer.

it depends if you look at quality of input or quantity of input.

you can have a tired employee trudging on from 8am to 8pm each night 6 days a week or a vibrant refreshed employee working 9am to 3pm or 12 midday to 6pm 3 days a week with their input better with less errors…doing more hours does not necessarily make them any better

6 Likes

Totally. But the best employees are those who can put five days in and can do so without being jaded by it. I’m fortunate to work with plenty like that

1 Like

17 posts were merged into an existing topic: Removed Posts 11/02/2018

The means by which you measure ‘worth’ make me sad. It seems Monzo doesn’t agree with your work ethic, thank god.

5 Likes

A good employer serves employees as much as customers because without good employees you have no customers. And the best way to lose your best employees and end up with no customers is to treat them like cattle (it’s also a myth that working hours = hours worked, and any good employer knows that. It’s possible to do a 9-5 and do nothing… it’s possible to go home be watching TV and solve a business critical issue).

This idea that employees should somehow be grateful to be allowed to work should have died in the 1950s but it seems that some employers still have it.

12 Likes

Sadly it does seem some employers are stuck in the past…

4 Likes

This topic is temporarily closed for 4 hours due to a large number of community flags.

Closing this until the team can review the thread & address the misuse of flags.