Depositing cash into current account?

Hmmmm I am not sure of that one. You’re right it is interesting…Let me have a quick look at their web site. Had a quick look it looks like they still support paying in via the P.O. Have a look here http://www.tsb.co.uk/help/branch-banking/

1 Like

Out of curiosity which account do you use to deposit via PayPoint?

Possibly Monese at a guess.

Just on a little note here, I wouldn’t deposit huge amounts of cash through Barclays into your pre-paid card. When I recently did this, the reference number (9 digits on the front of the card) was not sent with it so was in frantic talks with support who did get it sorted.

If you do have to do it, make sure it’s done at the counter by a person and make sure the reference goes with it.

###Obviously this will all change when we get current accounts :tada:

Monese and CashPlus are the two main ones I have used with PayPoint

I’ve considered Monese as an alternative to my bank account whilst waiting for a full Monzo launch but I’m put off by the fee.

I had them from the begining when they were free and because of their award winning customer service stayed even after they introduced charges, plus I love how their app works when sending SEPA payments

When I deposit at the Post Office it is instantaneous… I suggest changing banks… oh wait… :grin:

Jesting aside, is your Post Office a true Post Office or a community one inside something like a pub? That might be the issue although I doubt it.

I had that problem with a real Post Office but now three of them in my area closed down and there are two shops with Post Office counters :frowning:

I must confess, I was wondering how my money would get paid in when full accounts come along.

I live in a town with 3 Post Offices, so that would suit me nicely. I’ve no experience of paypoint, but that sounds okay as well. I can’t think of any other nationwide way that would cover everyone. Most national supermarkets have their own banking arms, so I don’t see them jumping to assist Monzo. If the post offices price themselves out of the market then perhaps paypoint. If cheques are a pain or expensive to pay in, could you not supply pre paid envelopes you send back to Monzo Hq, and leave you to pay in yourselves centrally? I don’t know if this is feasible or cost effective?

It obviously had to be easy for everyone (remember there is life outside London!).

Cheques will soon be paid in using a phone app, so I can’t see that being too much of a pain. The way I see it, cash is more of a pain.

Makes sense. Some banks do it, but it seems a bit hit and miss. My current bank still has paying in slips. A photo option on Monzo would be great.

It still gets me as ironic that the very people who clamour to pay cash in will often within days of depositing it take it back out again from an ATM to spend so why not just hold on to it and use it :slight_smile: But being able to deposit cheques by photographing them in the app would be useful as while they are declining by the day there is always the odd relative that pops them into a card at birthdays or Christmas.

2 Likes

I hate having cash in my wallet right up until the very moment I need it somewhere that only takes cash. A rarity these days thankfully.

2 Likes

I generally make a point of not going anywhere which won’t accept cards. If I unexpectedly find out they don’t, I will not return.

2 Likes

I try to avoid those places but quite a few of the playgroups we take the kids to only take cash.
I get more annoyed at places that don’t have contactless. I take it as a personal affront.

I used my cards everywhere when I had properties in London, now I live outside London while the two supermarkets in my town take cards most of the independent shops refuse to take cards or have a minimum spend or charge to use them. So reluctantly I found myself using more cash again :angry:

It’s mad how many posts this thread has gotten but Monzo staff are deaf blind and dumb on the subject. Interesting to see…

3 Likes
https://community.monzo.com/t/post-office-to-lodge-money/5401/10?u=iansilversides&source_topic_id=6972
1 Like