Declined an overdraft with high credit score

A post was split to a new topic: Removed Posts - June 2020

Monzo can access your available credit limit regardless of whether or not you connect credit card via open banking.

Itā€™s one of the data points held by the credit reference agencies.

1 Like

Depends which credit reference agencies both parties report to. If Monzo were able to see it before they saw it via open banking, I should have been declined at the outset, but they offered me Ā£1000.

Barclaycard likely reports to all of the main credit reference agencies so I donā€™t think it would matter which one/s Monzo uses.

On why decision was changed - if it was months between applications I think thereā€™s every possibility Monzo could have changed their internal decision criteria in that period.

1 Like

Perhaps. Makes little sense my circumstances influenced it though. Income was higher, credit utilisation was the same. I drew the parallel I did as it was fairly soon after integrating my Barclaycard into Monzo that their offer was revoked upon moving to the percent based interest. From my perspective itā€™s the only thing Iā€™m aware of that changed. Perhaps Monzo did change their criteria, they do need to be stingy whilst they generate no profit after all.

I only regularly check experian, the others I only check occasionally for potential anomalies. Barclaycard, most of my traditional accounts, and N26 show up on my Experian report, but Monzo, Revolut, PayPal, and some others donā€™t.

I had the same exact issue! That finally resolved itself. Now I am told my ā€œIncome is too lowā€

Not really sure how high an income they are setting as their threshold, but I do know people with lower incomes who have overdrafts with Monzo.

1 Like

I give up trying to guess how Monzo calculate this. They eventually decided I was good to have a Ā£500 overdraft again, despite no reported changes in my income or circumstances, credit availability etc.

Perhaps it ties in somewhat to how youā€™re using your Monzo account. Both times they offered me one, I think (itā€™s possible I was using revolut when they offered me Ā£500. I canā€™t remember if it was before or after Plus launched, but it was around that time.) I was actively using the account as a primary bank account. In the period they revoked it, I believe I was doing my core banking with N26.

Who knows? :man_shrugging:

I actually checked mine again yesterday, months ago I reduced it from 100 down to 50 and I tend to check every month just to see what theyā€™ll offer, for the last 6 months they wouldnā€™t go above 50. Yesterday the offer was 3000 and my income has gone down slightly as one of my furloughed jobs ended in July.

Iā€™ve also given up trying to work out what the roulette wheel lands on next :rofl:

2 Likes

Is that a typo for 300, or has the maximum finally been increased beyond Ā£500 now?

I think itā€™s a typo :rofl:

Although I didnā€™t know the limit was Ā£500 - I have Ā£1,000 and thought that was the maximum :confused:

Ā£1000 use to be the max. It was lowered to Ā£500 for new applications around the time they swapped to percentages. Not heard any news surrounding overdraft limits since then.

1 Like

No typo

1 Like

Just grabbed a screenshot

2 Likes

Just went through the process to check mine again to see if theyā€™ll allow me more. Still capped at Ā£500 for now. :sob:

Klarna did hard search me recently though for Xbox all access, otherwise same circumstances as the time I had 1k, except income is now higher.

Itā€™s not a big deal, because I never use it, but large overdrafts are for that just in case emergency peace of mind, so Iā€™m not worried trying to get money out of savings, before covering expenses.

Iā€™m a bit confused how they now say I can go from 50 up to that 3000 but they still keep me on the bottom tier of the interest rate, if suddenly I can increase that massively then surely they should also be saying actually letā€™s move that now to the middle rate. I donā€™t use my overdraft so the charges donā€™t mean anything to me but itā€™s the principal of the thing :rofl:

1 Like

I mean, to add more confusion to these flames, according to the page on overdrafts, Ā£500 is still the limit!

So how in the world did their system manage to award you Ā£3000! :face_with_monocle::rofl:

ETA: scrolled down to the slider for calculating charges and it scales up to Ā£3k. Curious.

VIP customer ya know :rofl:

I best not let on that Iā€™ve got dark mode either šŸ¤¦

Must be out of date help page someoneā€™s forgotten to put the new figures in. Iā€™ve not taken the 3 grand though

:sweat_smile::joy::rofl::sob::sob::rage::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Out of interest, I did the same, though happy with current value

A lot more questions now than before, including first checking type of profession (which was a hard one to pick from as none of the options felt dead on - where is Engineering?) and whether I fell within a certain field (which I did)

Particularly intrigued by the second as it felt broadly like shaping up for taking a viewpoint on how mainstream the role is and potentially ethical considerations. That feels a little like what I saw around which businesses can and cannot get accounts right now (though second hand as donā€™t have a business of my own)

1 Like

Iā€™ve just redone mine after answering a load of questions and got offered the same Ā£1000

Thought Iā€™d check loans too but got the followingā€¦

1 Like