✅ Custom Category Creation

I kind of would too but I think it’s going to be better in the long run if we don’t create our own categories, for the reasons Hugo’s explained here.

However there is some new functionality that’s on the way that’ll help us track our spending at more detail than the categories so keep any eye out for that.

Just to mention, this is actually already a thing. Monzo remembers the last category that you assigned to a merchant’s transaction & applies the same category each time you purchase with them going forwards :boom:

1 Like

Thanks very much Alexs

1 Like

I definitely agree with the points but I think that the general allocation should stay how it is - but then just have the optiOn to add in the additional categories. That way it caters for people that want an easy life but also has the option to split a shop into categories or make your own categories too. I think you should do it I would love this feature!

Hi,

I’m very new to monzo and do far think it’s fab. I would also like to be able to add categories or have a wider selection including gym/ health etc.

Thanks

2 Likes

I think it would be great if we was able to add our own target catagories , I use my monzo card to buy supplies for my woodworking which comes under the category ’ shopping ’ which is correct and great but I also want to use the shopping catagory for maybe household items or personal gifts

Apart from that the app is great and I use it more then my bank

Hi Kyle :wave: and welcome! :slight_smile:
I moved your post here, where many opinions were already exchanged. We also had some feedback from Hugo in this post, it might be worth reading as it outlines potential future development goals for this functionality:
https://community.monzo.com/t/custom-categories-1/649/14?u=avishai

And, if you have any suggestions from your end, feel free to share it with us! :smiley:

I’d really like to be able to distinguish in ‘eating out’ if I’m buying lunch or dinner. This helps me see where my eating out budget is for the month - when do I need to take a packed lunch to work etc. Surely the app could split this into 2 categories based on time of day? I’d really really like to be able to create my own categories. Another catergory for me would be vaping, which currently just doesn’t suit any of the existing ones. Thanks :slight_smile:

Tobacco: Now a foodstuff…

Only in America…where pizza is found in the vegetable aisle.

Use two different emoji in the notes section for now?

2 Likes

Hi Guys,

Upvoting requests for more categories. Would like “Tax” for HMRC, not “Bills”.

Other categories that would be useful at this stage are:

• Rent

• Utilities (“Bills” feels too broad)

• Health

• Insurance

• Pet

Perhaps collecting category suggestions in-app would be a super useful way to collect suggestions more efficiently?

Looks as though more categories are in the works :wink:

https://community.monzo.com/t/breakdown/9589

2 Likes

I’d like a ‘kids’ category so I can keep track of how much I’ve spent on their clothing, activities, school dinners and so on

3 Likes

I know this has been talked to death regarding spending categories on the pre paid account but now I’m running Monzo as a current account, I really need a “transfer” or “internal” category for sending money within my own accounts, which may not have made my sense with the pre paid card accounts.

Loved that Monzo alerted me the very second my wages were deposited. It’s such a simple thing but already where Monzo wins over all the other current accounts I’ve had!

3 Likes

I know that custom categories have been mentioned already but Monzo will normally reply to explain that having custom categories is more effort for the user and the app should be something that once setup does the work for you. I completely agree with this! But if we were allowed custom categories, after we put a transaction into that category once, all other transactions from the same company would automatically go into that category, then we’d have a small amount of setup work to do but after a month or so almost all transactions would be categorised automatically in exactly the way we want.

But thanks for the great work Monzo team! The custom categories and Apple Pay features are the only things stopping me from converting solely to Monzo.

Please custom categories :grin:

Yeah personalized categories would be very useful!

Another request here for custom categories :smiley:

I use YNAB (https://www.youneedabudget.com) religiously to track my spending and now that I have the current account preview it would be amazing to be able to use Monzo for the whole lot and skip that step. The categories are good OK at present but without being able to customise them I think they are very restrictive for all but a very small number of users.

Monzo team, please :+1:

To expand on @DominicKing’s comment, all that has to be done is keep the standard set of auto categories and then allow you add your own. That way it should not be any extra work for users :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I second that. Really could with being able to add own categories like ‘B Bank’ app allows you to

Personalized categories or perhaps adding personalized sub-categories to the main ones?

Adding my voice to back a ‘custom category’ feature. Would be great to differentiate between picking up coffee on the way to work and having a night out at a restaurant/bar. So, in a nutshell, perhaps add a “Coffee” category? :stuck_out_tongue: