✅ Custom Category Creation

I really like how it automatically sorts categories but is it possible to add the ability to create your own categories. I know the app wouldn’t know to put things in a custom category at first but if I move a transaction to one it could ask if I wanted to put all future transactions from that retailer in that category.

3 Likes

Having just run through last months transactions, I still think this is an easy win for much needed functionality. Just an increase in category numbers implemented in whatever way monzo sees fit :slight_smile: my missing top 1, like many others, is definitely health.

It sounds like you might not have read carefully enough :grimacing:

But the good news is that ‘health’ is on it’s way, as ‘personal care’ :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Yep when I saw how many comments there were I just shot in the dark

2 Likes

Please I’d like to have a section where I can put all the money I expend in alcoholic drinks. Then reorganise my life. Thanks.

6 Likes

Hi Raul, welcome to Monzo forums :wave: . I moved your post to main topic where other suggestions for custom categories were already added (so Monzo team has easier job going through this feedback!:sunglasses:).

You know how categories look like now, but you see next version of categories in this Sneak Preview from Hugo:
https://community.monzo.com/t/breakdown/9589

I don’t think Monzo can help you reorganise your life though, so I’m terribly sorry about that! :smiley: Or maybe give it a year or two? Monzo has pretty big plans. :wink:

I agree (in the end I stopped using ‘Goodbudget’ because I couldn’t custom categorise)

Currently I’m putting some things through Monzo (e.g. groceries, eating out) but where my own categorisation needs go beyond the categories available, I just pay for them on my current account and categorise them the old fasioned way, by putting them into a spread sheet at the end of the month. Monzo assists me with this as it tallies up all my food etc for me (which is why I use it), but it can’t go the whole way. For me, the reason I use the app is to help me with budgeting, and categories are at the heart of that.

I like the ‘advanced mode’ idea here, so people can choose whether they keep it simple and have all the benefits of that, or whether they’d prefer to sacrifice some of the ease so that they can be more granular in their budgeting. I’d be in the latter category :wink:

1 Like

I would like to add a ‘Charity’ category so that I can keep a tab on how much I give to charities.
Other people may want their own categories.
Thoughts?

1 Like

Just to reiterate what everyone is saying in hopes that it will happen - custom categories is essential! It’s a large part of the reason I joined Monzo. Counting drinks in the same realm as eating out is wrong, and all my categories at this point are confused because I forget which category I assign different expenses to. It prevents me from using monzo properly, achieving my targets and controlling my expenses.

5 Likes

They’ve already said no to this, I think. That’s why I’ll be developing my own app for categorisation and spending breakdown.

1 Like

Custom categories is just one way of addressing a common use case - the need for more granular organisation of transactions.

So what if there was another way to group those transactions together :thinking: you can already do this by adding emoji to the transaction notes but I know that there’s more enhancements on the way in this area..watch this space..

1 Like

I did the emoji thing for a while. I found it a really clunky and irritating way to categorise.

One fantastic feature of the API is the ability to add your own metadata values to transactions. That’s how I’m categorising at the moment.

It’ll be interesting to see what Monzo comes up with, but I can think of at least one category I need which they’ll never think of. So I think a little user customisation is important.

3 Likes

I tried the emojis too, I could never remember which specific one I had used before.
When I moved into my flat I wanted to track how much I was spending on household stuff and used :house_with_garden: :house::houses: interchangably because I could never remember what I used before.

If the app prompted you when putting in data it might work better but then for search it might still be a pain to use.

2 Likes

I keep a note in a separate app on my phone of what the emoji ‘tags’ mean.

It’s definitely not the perfect solution though.

One could put hashtags in the notes. So under the category groceries you can put #household or #food to specify what the transaction is about. One could also be able to search individual hashtags to see how much you spent on that exact sub category? :thinking:

3 Likes

Like the idea,

I think they should allow us to change the name of the categories as well.

So we can edit them

2 Likes

Hi,

I like the idea of putting each transaction into a cateogry (be it shopping, transport etc).

However, i would personally like to change the names of my categories (example change Holidays to say Sports etc).

But i would like to have te choice of the name of the cateogies i put my money into?

Thank you
JB

1 Like

Totally agree. Any news if this is in process?

1 Like

@LAWSMITH We definitely have to wait until CA is more rolled out to the masses, but we got a little bit of new categories shown in this sneak preview, it’s sneaky, but you can see subcategories in there (and new names!):

https://community.monzo.com/t/breakdown/9589

Hi I am probably the only Monzo user who drinks more champagne than tea… Drinks would be such a useful category :champagne:
It’s already so great to be able to split things so easily and trace and find so :pray:t2:Big thank you
Thanks Richard

1 Like