Curve chat

I’ve had curve for a long time (got a ‘Black Beta’ card still).

The only thing I use it for is, surprisingly, I’ve still got 2 other cards that are not contactless (one of the cards was recently replaced - and it’s still not contactless) so it’s handy for those 2.

I put my Monzo on it last month and used it a lot because I had an email from them saying that if I used Curve I’d get £5 cashback from them - but nothing has happened yet. Not sure if there was small print that I didn’t notice.

Just got a survey from them… I wasn’t too subtle…

Im really put off curve at the moment as i have been waiting for a refund since 30th December and not recieved anything, they didnt even bother helping in the app just sent me to the retailer straight away. Kind of a kick in the teeth given i pay them monthly but theres nothing i can do.

Sent my refund reciept to the retailer and just hoping for the best now to hear back from them with an ARN so i can find out whos at fault.

That’s weird. I’ve found Curve to be very helpful in those situations, even manually issuing a refund themselves while they wait for any indication from the merchant. I must say tough that since here in Portugal all physical stores will just provide you refunds in cash, no matter how you paid , I’ve only needed help with refunds 3 times in total last year

Refunds are one of their weakpoints, I accidentally used my Curve card to receive a refund which I paid with a different card and ended up having to manually contact them to get it sorted. Waiting on a couple more refunds then I’m going to ditch them for good.

I couldnt agree any more, they have finally acknowledged that my missing refund is a problem on their end, just waiting to hear back from them in the next couple of days to see whats going to be done.

And closed, one less barely used account to keep track of.

I wonder who Shackhar is referring to re: false numbers… the transparent fintech or the smoke and mirrors one? :cowboy_hat_face:

Bialick comes across quite badly in that article.

Curve has always struck me as a solution looking for a problem, and one that operates within the loopholes of a fragmented industry – corporate cards, Amex acceptance, ATM cash recycling, transaction type codes are all examples. As suppliers have become wise to Curve making money off them, they’ve slowly closed the loopholes, leaving Curve struggling to find a successful market.

8 Likes

Finally! Although 5 days too late… Just got back from a trip in Europe which this would’ve been awesome for (I only use Curve aboard to combat credit card non-ster fees haha)

I might actually use mine again now.

1 Like

Just added my Curve card to Apple wallet and everything went through smoothly.

And cancelation sent. Thanks curve, but I’m honestly not sure what you were trying to do other than help me out when I forgot a pin number…

I think you’ve summed up Curve perfectly.
I did use Curve to exploit the cashback (both Curve cash, and the underlying credit card), but once that had finished, I could see no point in keeping it.
Google pay has all of my compatible cards in an E-wallet
The unreliability of Curve acceptance meant that I always had to carry another card anyway.
The paid tiers offer little value for money. (for me at least)
Their only unique feature (as far as I can see) is “Go Back in Time”, which I’m sure before long, one of the more established E-wallets will adopt.

Like yourself, I see Curve struggling to attract new customers, or indeed retain existing ones in the very competitive FinTech market.

1 Like

And tbh that was only a frig because you couldnt pick the underlying card at the time of purchase. If you dont have curve and use apple pay you will generally always pick the correct card or even if you use the physical cards. Go back in time fixed a problem that curve creates.

1 Like

That’s great news. If only my curve card worked. Swapped 2 weeks ago from the black legacy card to the new metal card, in order to still use the card with HMRC without incurring a charge.

Despite receiving the card, it’s not working, support is “looking into it” but how long does it take. Get your finger out curve :rage:

What? Don’t you mean the word if in place of the word because?

I use my curve card above all others, I have several credit cards (non amex) and it has helped me juggle holidays and other large expenses. I also like the metal card, and now that they accept apple pay that is me set. What I really wish Monzo would do is either acquire them or offer deep integration so that curve transactions appeared ‘natively’ in monzo, instead of all as originating from curve.

I think Curve is just too toxic for that…

1 Like