Credit Card Application Advice

I do the same but always pay off my balance in full

I got a credit card while at uni and it didn’t end well for me. Students are quite cash strapped as it is, then the added temptation of “uni life” going out and enjoying yourself with all your friends etc meant I kept dipping into it.

Before long I was in over my head but my limit kept rising. By this point I’d become reliant on this “extra revenue steam” which then took many years after I graduated before I finally paid it all back.

I’d just say be very careful if you’re getting one at uni. If you’re responsible (unlike me) and can strictly only spend what you can clear in full the next month - then go for it. Otherwise, there are plenty of other ways to build credit history.

8 Likes

Did someone spell Vanquis as Vanquish :joy:

1 Like

In some ways this is why I really like the American Express cards. The interest rates on them are ridiculously high, and as a result I’m never tempted to leave balance on them and always pay them off in full. They haven’t had a penny of interest from me in all the years I’ve had my cards.

It’s a very dangerous game to play if you don’t trust yourself though. You can end up owing them a lot of money very quickly.

Nationwide’s all rounder 15 months 0% sounds great especially for starter

For my 2 Pence I would try and get a credit card with a bank as the provider simply because if you ever face some financial difficulties they will be more inclined to help you rather than someone dish as Capital One or Vanquish as who prefer profit over customers.

Edit: Plus banks have lower interest rates the majority of the time and you may find you get some benefits depending on the bank.

1 Like

Closest topic I could find.

Does anyone know how long a balance transfer usually takes?

I initiated on Saturday (non business day) and I cannot be bothered to call the lender to find out. It’s still not been completed, but when I go to do it again the option is blanked out.

Some forums/pages online say it can take up to a week, is that right? I’m working day 4 now.

Yeah around that, I wouldn’t think it’s too far along to worry about it.

Has your available balance changed on either of them?

Nothing yet either side, it’s my first ever BT so don’t know how long it’s supposed to take.

Maybe tomorrow.

1 Like

Depends on the provider, sometimes it can take a few working days, a week.

You should be able to see this information in your Terms and Conditions

1 Like

I’m sure it said 3 working days when I initially put it through. I will call them tomorrow if no updates. Just hate calling people (working in a call centre you’d think it’s ok) :joy: