COVID-19 (Coronavirus)

As someone who has always enjoyed holidays in the UK I don’t really understand everyone saying there’s nowhere to go.

I’m big on hiking, climbing and wild camping So I guess the UK is perfect for me, but you can have almost any sort of holiday here really (maybe not lying on a tropical beach I suppose). It’s also more sustainable and often more affordable than travelling abroad. I’m always telling people - grab a tent and some basic gear, get to the nearest coast path or national park, you can have a great holiday.

Places like the Lake District, Cairngorms, Snowdonia, Southwest coastline are among the most beautiful places in the world imo, and they are on the doorstep.

4 Likes

We went to Cornwall last summer and it was great. Going to the Lake District this summer.

But if it’s weather like it has been this week then it won’t be anywhere near as good.

2 Likes

Went to Wales in half term week and we were very lucky with the weather. But we always have at least one ‘staycation’ a year even pre pandemic.

don’t believe everything you read. I just booked up a two week camping trip in a very popular area and not one campsite had upped its prices on last year

1 Like

Sure, but I think there’s a big difference between ‘there’s nowhere to go’ and ‘I prefer the furniture abroad’.

Basically there’s loads of options of places to go, was my point.

8 Likes

The AirBnB I booked (in school holidays) doubled in price for the following week after restriction/holiday abroad announcements.

That prices people out of a holiday but it still sold.

2 Likes

Reading all these news articles, I realised the hill that I’ll die on is that none of these ‘staycations’ are actually staycations.

By definition, with a staycation, you are staying at home.

10 Likes

Stay is relative, I can leave my house and walk for an hour while staying in my town.

So…
By definition, with a staycation, you are staying in your homeland.

*I’m not a fan of the term either I work in the sector and cringe everytime I hear it.

Your definition does not work. If I leave London and travel seven hours to Cornwall or the Lake District to stay in a hotel, I am still in my homeland but I am absolutely on vacaction (or holiday, if you prefer).

There’s nothing wrong with going for a long walk, but at the end of the day you’re still going back to your own home. That’s what the ‘stay’ means in this context, you’re sleeping in your own bed.

(I mean, try applying your definition to the Australia. If someone from Sydney goes to Perth on holiday, is that a staycation? Really?)

3 Likes

Absolutely you are but more and more over the years “holiday” and “vacation” have been linked in people’s minds with going abroad, so having a separate term for holidaying without going abroad has come about.

You can stay in your homeland while being on vacation, hence staycation.

Just chosing a different hill to die on than you, to stay doesn’t automatically mean to stay in your own home.

Probably not, I wouldn’t like to comment with any certainty on the holidaying trends of another country, on the other side of the world. But if I were to speculate, I’d say a smaller percentage of the Australian holiday makers would have been traveling abroad for their holidays to begin with so there would have been less need (need, in the losest of terms) for a distinction for holidaying at home, when there is already a term for going overseas, abroad.

Wild speculation there and I’m not willing to defend it in the slightest.

1 Like

The Oxford Dictionary of English agrees with you, so fair enough. Staycation, as I understand it, is an interchangeable term that can be used to describe both anyway. Needless debate IMO, not like frauded.

1 Like

:joy:

11 Likes

:sweat_smile:

Thanks for your feedback :smirk:

My website is for reading only & download some docs if want :books:.

As you don’t need to enter any of your personal details, SSL is not needed really :cat:

1 Like

I do agree but Firefox was raising 15 levels of hell to view the site :p.

1 Like

Firefox gets over excited at times

2 Likes

I usually use Firefox and didn’t see any warnings or errors, yet :thinking:

1 Like

@Remi @Rat_au_van

I created this thing today called Rajaton, it means open in Suomi.

It uses alternative DNS I own, and a Root CA for SSL, and runs my own .xe TLD haha

I don’t know if there’s any point, but I dislike centralisation of the internet

Edit: thinking about it, I could just make an EXE that adds tons of domains to the host file, for .xe.
so there’s no need for DNS changes, + adds the root CA.

1 Like

So far off topic now that the original topic can only be seen using the Hubble space telescope

6 Likes

Well spotted :eyes:

Please make sure to keep things to as on topic as possible everyone - I’d prefer not to remove sections of the discussion :pray:

3 Likes

So to get back to Corona, the download festival went ahead this weekend.

Copy is from The Guardian live blog, before anyone mentions the copy and paste, couldn’t link to it from mobile, it’s not behind a paywall.

The organiser of Download Festival said it is “100% evidence” of how large-scale music events can go ahead amid the pandemic.

Melvin Benn, who is behind the UK’s largest rock show, said this weekend’s 10,000-strong event in Donington Park, Leicestershire, is a “very clear demonstration you can do it”, PA reports.

The festival takes place annually in June and usually hosts up to 80,000 rock and heavy metal fans.

But the three-day festival has been downscaled this year as it runs as part of a government live events pilot, meaning fans do not have to wear masks or socially distance.

The three-day festival is running as part of a government pilot and has 10,000 rock fans in attendance.

Mr Benn said: “It’s extraordinary really. It’s really fantastic. I am very heartwarmed by it all. The level of compliance around the testing and requirements we have is absolutely extraordinary.”

Asked about the idea it remains impossible for such mass events to be Covid-secure, he said: “It is evidence that this is not true. It is 100% evidence that it is not true. This is a very clear demonstration that you can do it.”

Bit of a bold statement from the organiser, given its only just finished and no one’s going to know infection rates this quickly. I looked at what testing they were doing. Lateral flow, so basically the ones that are pretty much found to be useless. Even our education authority has ditched them and had schools doing the swab version.

The test will be what actually happens to the attendees in the next week or so.

4 Likes