COVID-19 (Coronavirus)

Or GP may have made an error. It happens.

1 Like

What would happen in England if they didn’t have a number to text you on? My GP back home never had any direct contact details for me besides my address.

Maybe not an error, and just inconsistent weirdness:

They did. They looked at my thing which said “eligible in group X” but forgot to consider the “group X” part when sending me on my wild goose chase. Oh well, the wait continues :disappointed:

1 Like

I’ve now had both vaccines and feeling good about it, especially as I’m off on a ‘staycation’ next week.

1 Like

They will post a letter to you. It arrived for my husband the day after he booked his test online (after seeing his bracket was eligible on the morning news). So it seems pretty quick to arrive.

1 Like

Pretty bummed I missed yesterday’s mass vaccination drive in London. Is there a service I can sign up to that lets me know if there are any vaccines available or once I’m eligible?

<tongue in cheek>Twitter</tongue in cheek>

But seriously, as long as you’re keeping on top of the news from usual sources, you’ll hear sooner rather than later, I’m sure. No-one is sneaking out the next reduction in vaccination age range hoping that people won’t notice! Would rather defeat the purpose.

1 Like

One can’t really follow every single NHS trust’s Twitter, though

And whilst I’m confident I’ll be notified by text/whatever, it’s a shame yesterday’s 15k free Pfizer’s weren’t better communicated as I was in the area and I want to make sure I’m up to speed if similar things happen another weekend

I think it was very well communicated on social media considering how many people turned up. With a limit like they had, they can’t just advertise it everywhere because then even more people will turn up.

Unfortunately there will always be people who miss out in these circumstances.

4 Likes

It’s unfortunate you missed it, but with my objective hat on, I can’t see that it was badly communicated. The decision to make it available to everyone over 18 was an ad-hoc decision on the day, and wasn’t made until 2.30pm. Social media boosted the signal massively, as there were huge, huge queues at the stadium.

There’s no way they could have started the day with the lower limit, as this would’ve been against clinical guidelines (indeed, the dropping to 18 at 2.30pm was still against guidelines, but I suspect it was because by then they’d worked out they would’ve had a surplus left at the current rate and did what they could to use it all). Also if people had know days before the limit was 18, it probably would’ve ended up being oversubscribed.

I shall keep my fingers crossed for you that you manage to get your vaccine shooner rather than later.

2 Likes

Get “known” at the vaccination sites. Turn up near the end with no queue and see if they will put you on the reserve list.

Where I volunteer is GP lead and closing in July so cannot give out first doses anymore but you might have a chance just asking. No harm in asking however depending on your age you might just wait it out especially if close to 30? I think it is now

I’m closer to 30 than I’d like in general terms, but I don’t think I’m close enough for a vaccine in the next couple of weeks :joy: if I could find opening times for the local centre I might try, but I don’t know when they close

I’m currently placing bets with myself as to whether I’ll get a second dose by the notional 12 week limit.

Technically I should now be on the 8-9 week list but seeing as I had may first dose 10 weeks ago yesterday that horse has bolted.

1 Like

I’m ready for my 3rd dose booster shot in the autumn / winter… :syringe::syringe:

3 Likes

Same here - I doubt I’ll get an ‘acceleration’ text/email between now and my planned, second jab in 2 weeks.

I’m on the GP list so I don’t have a second appointment yet. Hence the betting.

I imagine I’ll get a text message in the next few days in reality.

Please don’t do this. The NHS specifically ask people not to.

If you are <30 and not vulnerable, what’s actually the rush on somebody getting their vaccine?

Covid isn’t particularly dangerous to that group, the standard preventative methods of masks and hand washing should be fine while you wait your turn.

For that age group it’s important as it’ll help the whole population.

The vaccines have been shown to reduce transmission, so by getting inoculated you’ll be doing two things: protecting yourself against the possibility that you’ll be one of the people that will need hospital treatment and protecting others by reducing the transmission of Covid.

So basically, get the vaccine when offered it!

9 Likes