COVID-19 (Coronavirus)

I had my second Pfizer vaccine this morning at the local hospital and I have to say my vaccine queue was quite busy. A queue outside waiting and every chair/cubicle taken inside. They seemed to have also improved the layout of the rooms/cubicles to squeeze more people in since I was there in January too. It was quite empty when I went in January in comparison.

This Twitter thread from the stats guy at the FT is well worth reading:

1 Like

Whoops, plot foiled :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Stupid they didn’t see that coming. Scotland did, and did it in a separate app.

My guessing is the developers knew it would be an issue, said it would have to be separate, and management said ‘Not paying for a new app, stick it in and we’ll sort the google side’ (apparently assuming the rules don’t apply to us because we’re british or something).

3 Likes

Apple are launching an interested study with Apple Watch in regards to COVID-19 and the flu. May one day become a device that can help detect, prevent and protect against future pandemics.

3 Likes

Are anti viral similar to anti biotics in the way that it could become resistant to the drug ?

I have read through different papers regarding antiviral resistance and it seems that prolonged drug exposure to the virus could also lead to viral resistant strains, which is very similar to how bacteria develop resistance.

1 Like

Looks to be so:

https://www.who.int/csr/disease/swineflu/notes/h1n1_antiviral_use_20090925/en/

1 Like

Then sending to people with no symptoms who live in the same property as someone who tested positive might not be a good idea, we have enough variants we don’t need more.

Although it will probably be targeted , high risk people I’d imagine.

Had my 2nd vaccine today, in and out within 90 seconds :ok_hand:

It’s quite nice to not have the pandemic in the news every 5 seconds. Hopefully the next wave will just skip us by or not be as bad if it does arrive.

2 Likes

Don’t they do the observation thing for round two?

The AZ doesn’t need it

Not sure why some places did before

2 Likes

No, as above it wasn’t a requirement in the 1st place. They had a couple of chairs out, just in case anyone had a bad reaction the last time around.

They still do for Pfizer (I’m told by someone who had their second today).

1 Like

It’s in that Pfizer training materials that patients have to stay after the injections

For Oxford generally there is no requirement to be observed for 15 minutes but you are advised not to drive during the first 15 mins. Some vaccine centres will ask people to wait inside the centre whereas others will allow them to leave as long as they don’t drive.

For Pfizer the advice is to be observed for 15 mins so you should be asked to stay in the vaccination centre (though you can’t be forced to wait it is sensible to do so).

Above applies for both 1st and 2nd dose.

3 Likes

Confirmed from our experience - MrsW was held hostage for 15mins after Pfizer (both jabs) and I was advised not to drive for 15 mins after the first AZ jab

My walk back to the car was just under 20 mins, so I was fully compliant.

Not sure if there was any truth to it or not, but the nurse who administered my second one told me my insurance would be invalid if I drove within the first 15 minutes after. Maybe seems slightly far fetched, but I haven’t delved that deep in to all the Ts&Cs of my newest policy so could be true :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I guess if you’ve not followed medical advice, you are liable for your actions - which may be covered by a general exclusion term in your insurance T&C’s. One to check for sure - unless you drove a vehicle >15 mins after being needled of course.

2 Likes

They’re not technically wrong. You mustn’t drive if you’ve received medical advice not to. DVLA rules, which must be followed for your insurance to remain valid etc.

1 Like