Contactless over £30

I’m not sure it is regulation. It’s decided by stores themselves I think. In my experience so far, my max limit using contactless via my card is £30 but if I use the same card from within Google Pay, I can normally spend more using my phone’s contactless function, although it varies store to store. I’ve been in some that apply the same limit to both and others that don’t

My bet is it ran as signature, since the terminal didn’t support online PIN, and since collecting a signature will only protect you in limited circumstances (card prefers signature - e.g. US and Hong Kong cards mostly, plus some for disabled people), they didn’t bother. Could have been something else, of course. Just my bet :slight_smile: A card machine receipt would help here :slight_smile:

Who’s to say it’s ‘wrong’? In the US, most restaurants have PIN support disabled, knowingly taking on risk for any chip and PIN cards they get that are lost/stolen. It’s about appetite for risk…

Oh, if the Apple Pay logo is displayed on the terminal, then they have to accept phone payments over £30. I’m sure The Range had the Apple logo but didn’t accepts the contactless above £30 when I was in there at the weekend, or I could be seeing things.

Is there a wiki post for the opposite, those that don’t accept contactless over £30?

3 Likes

Finally.

6 Likes

Translation: their strategy to force people to use their own knockoff payment app didn’t work out and they’re abandoning the idea. Sounds very familiar to CurrentC.

8 Likes

About time, Aldi has had no limit for a long time now

‘Unlike contactless payments’ is just wrong:

1. Apple Pay and Google Pay are contactless payments’.
  2. You can’t even say unlike contactless cards. The £30 limit is for not completing cardholder verification, not for contactless. You can use a card for over £30 if a CVM can be agreed.
3 Likes

Indeed, my kerv ring (which has to be contactless) has a PIN for just such occasions.

That’s interesting. I’ve never encountered contactless and PIN in the UK even though I know it’s possible.

Nor me, but I have abroad

About time, I tried the other day and didn’t work. so annoying

1 Like

About time, I really thought Tesco would keep being stubborn about this in order to push their ridiculous Pay+ payment method.

Most cards now including Monzo support online PIN. British merchant support is still mixed.

2 Likes

This is a requirement from the payment networks for terminals and merchants offering contactless to support CDCVM (high value contactless or Apple/Google/etc Pay over £30) from January 1st. :slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

Is there a public document with those news rules anywhere? Just curious as to the actual wording…

Shame it doesn’t make them accept contactless if they accept cards :frowning:

2 Likes

Is it for existing terminals or only new deployments?

Also is there any online PIN requirement?

It has been a requirement for new deployments for a few years now, this is for existing deployments. :+1:

4 Likes

Awesome! But how do shops like Tesco and ASDA open new locations or replace bad terminals now then?

1 Like