Contactless Fraud overtakes cheque scams for the first time

Funny thing: We are a web hosting business, so you’d think we get all payments online, but we still get a number of cheques per week. I did a quick report, and over the past 12 months we received about 1% of our payments by cheque. We even still receive the occasional money order.

I will never understand why we still accept cheques, given they are such a pain to deal with, but my boss is adamant …

1 Like

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/5714919/as-contactless-fraud-soars-we-reveal-how-you-can-avoid-becoming-a-victim/

Monzo is mentioned here… which is a good thing…instant notifications and a brightly coloured card saved the day in a nightclub…

(Scroll down to “My Card was stolen in a club”)

Looks like a possibility she’s a scammer herself. Note that she got the money back from Monzo and the thief. And she doesn’t even seem to realise that’s likely fraud too given she’s basically bragging about it…

On the basis of what is written in the article, that’s a peculiar statement to make.

1 Like

“I received some fraud compensation from my bank and £20 from the thief.

Note that I said possibility and likely. It depends on if the money from the thief was intended to compensate for her loss. I don’t know. But if it was, and it seems likely, then she’s effectively let two people pay her for one loss.

I suspect that the transaction was refunded by Monzo and the the thief went to court and was ordered to make a compensation payment.

The article doesn’t say that, but it’s The Sun. None of it might be true.

3 Likes

Very good point. The article makes it sound like it was the thief paying for what they stole, but your version of events could also be the case, in which case it’s totally different. The issue with the Sun and a lot of journalism is we just have no idea, it’s unclear.

The way it’s worded though definitely sounds like she received the same money twice, as nothing about a court judgement was mentioned.

The main reason why I posted the link to the Sun article was merely to mention that Monzo was highlighted in a mainstream newspaper… which is only going to do good to raise awareness of Monzo and it’s existence… a lot of people haven’t got a clue about financial options and it’s good that The Sun has happened to mention a Fintech Bank and how it’s service has helped in this type of situation.

2 Likes

It may have been dealt with by way of a Community Resolution which is a lower level disposal option than a fixed penalty notice, caution or taking it to court.

Okay, but that’s still a restitution order. The article made me think he just paid her the money back.

I don’t know how the matter was dealt with. Nor does any of us. We only have the article in a tabloid to go on. I found it peculiar to draw the conclusion the victim of crime my be a scammer. That’s all.

I haven’t got time to dissect and analyse the words used. It makes the community a terribly dull place when we can’t have a sensible conversation.

Fair point, the tabloid article was written in a way that led me to believe she’d been paid back twice, but if you’ll note I did use caution in my word choice specifically because it was a poorly worded tabloid article full of nonsense generally about card security.

Yep. I don’t think we should be pinning too much on the “facts” of a tabloid newspaper article.

As the original poster says, the post was more about the mention of Monzo. Useful being orange hot coral. If it had been purple, blue or silver then the culprit may not have been readily identified.

Even more reason to use Apple Pay.

Looks like MasterCard isn’t vulnerable because they would have tried and written in the article I guess,

But interesting that bank fraud systems didn’t catch a contactless payment of over 30, maybe their backends can’t tell the difference between a Google pay payment of 100 and a contactless one.

Yeah, that struck me too

Even if you could fool the local terminal you would have thought that Visa would have performed their own validation of the traffic centrally

The more you know, the more you rather you did not

Stick to cash it’s much after for some on to commit fraud on a 20 pound note in your pocket. :joy: