Collected thoughts on card design

So this just arrived :open_mouth:

Not sure if it helps as a data point but I last had a Monzo account in 2018.

7 Likes

No signature strip either. Pretty slick design, I like.

1 Like

And for completeness, latest iteration of Wallet:

Wish Monzo had a Euro account.

This is why I have a Starling Euro account. I have a couple of SEPA direct debits which get paid from it too (and I get the usual Starling advance notifications so I can make sure there are enough € in there).

Any benefit to the Amex Nectar rather than Amex Rewards to Avios to Nectar or BA Amex to Nectar?

I’d say Starling.

2 Likes

Not sure what the exchange rates are like for the other cards but with this one you get triple points at Nectar-awarding places and double points everywhere else. I basically only use it at Sainsbury’s and Argos and get tons of points every month. I’ve also had it for so long they don’t charge me an annual fee.

1 Like

Is that some kind of loyalty benefit? Or did you open it before the fee was introduced?

Are they accepting applicants again yet?

One or the other… I’ve had it since 2008 when it was completely fee-free

Hmm, looks like no:

2 Likes

It’s been like that for a while now (month or more?).

Option 2 is Wise which has a Belgian IBAN.

1 Like

The default account and debit card is in GBP, but when you open the account you can request supplementary EUR and USD accounts, which come with their own debit cards (design is pretty close to the lloyds classic design, but with the international branding and currency printed on them).

If you have non-international Lloyds Private, then they can refer you for the Lloyds International Premier and the International deposit/eligibility requirements are waived. That was the route I took, so unfortunately I don’t know how strict they are normally. To be honest though, since then I’ve barely used it. The free travel insurance is nice, but probably not a game changer.

The sign up process was a bit laborious, though not too bad - phonecall with private banking to get the referral, then have an introductory call with the International bank, then fill out the application form, then wait a week or two (I think? might be wrong) for them to check and approve it manually.

The account itself has a separate online banking to normal Lloyds, but does also show up in the normal online banking.

My other memory is that the exchange rates didn’t sound very competitive, but I now can’t find anything to indicate what they actually are - I suppose you can always convert using another service if need be.

But realistically I haven’t used it much so can’t really say how smoothly “normal” operations work.

Of the top of my head some alternatives might be:

• Starling EUR account (I’d think this is the winner, but above suggests it’s closed to applications at the moment)
  • HSBC GMA
  • Cater Allen

I haven’t checked relative fees, and I suppose it will depend on your use case anyway.

Does anyone know of any new Banks that are like up and coming or going to be launching soon.

I know that N26 is going to be making a UK return and we have the Trading 212 Debit Card on the way.

Any others?

Is that so?

3 Likes

Do I mean N26 or Bunq?

Yeah eventually

Just googled it and nothing comes up apart from when they first launched and then when they closed UK accounts. Where is it confirmed they are coming back to the UK?

It’s Bunq that’s supposed to be re-launching.

It’s not confirmed but I saw some stuff online a while ago. Could be false tbh

1 Like